- Education: University of Verona, Italy, LL.B equivalent
- Admitted: Italy, 2006 • England and Wales, 2008
- Languages spoken: English • French • Italian
- Year joined: 2005
Cliccare qui per la versione italiana
Withers Studio Legale
Alessia is a dual qualified Italian lawyer (avvocato) and English solicitor who regularly advises clients on international succession and trust planning as well as on complex cross-border inheritance disputes with an emphasis on Italian and English conflict of laws issues. Her combined expertise means that she is able to consider each case from both a Civil Law and Common Law viewpoint whilst always maintaining a practical approach.
Her practice includes assisting international high-net worth individuals and families with Italian interests and investments. Alessia has developed significant expertise in advising on structuring and restructuring of Italian real estate wealth, as well as dealing with probate and inheritance matters involving Italian assets.
Additionally, she is able to assist on all stages of the acquisition of Italian real estate, from the initial negotiation stages, to holding and passing on to future generations both from a personal and corporate point of view, often managing projects involving a number of experts and professional in different countries.
- Advising a HNWI on the acquisition and structuring or a large Italian wine estate and hotel business
- Assisting a prominent client in a highly contentious succession matter both in Italy and in England, involving trust matters, forced heirship and conflict of laws issues
- Assisting a Russian client with the acquisition of an Italian real estate company and consequently with the restructuring of his personal holding
- Assisting an Italian HNWI and his family with the restructuring of a family trust
- Advising trustees and intermediaries on the implication of the new Italian reporting rules involving trusts
- Advising on EU succession regulations and international conflict of law rules
- Advising a number of Italian clients on structuring the holding of their London properties
- Advising on Italian/UK tax treaties
- General Italian and UK estate planning for individuals with connections with both countries
Publications and speaking engagements
Alessia has been a speaker at a number of seminars and round tables on investing in Italian real estates and on Italian and international estate planning.
Recent engagements include:
- Speaker at 'International Cross-Border Estate Planning in the wake of the EU Succession Regulation – All Change?' organised by STEP Central Southern, Hampshire (2015)
- Speaker at 'The new private international law of succession to the death' organised by Insignum, Naples (2015)
- Speaker on 'Succession Matters and Inheritance Tax in Italy and Scotland' at the BCCI event 'Doing Business in Scotland and Italy: The Legal Perspective', Scotland (2015);
- Speaker on 'Domicile vs. Residence vs. Nationality: Their significance in the context of EU, English, Swiss and Italian succession law' at the Law Society Private Client Section cross border conference, London (2015);
- Speaker on the European Regulations on Successions, organised by P+P Pöllath + Partners, Berlin (June 2014);
- Speaker on Trusts and Foundations in relation to Inheritance and Gift tax at the AIJA/IBA conference Trusts and Foundations in International Estate Planning, Berlin (June 2014);
- Speaker on cross-jurisdictional succession at the AIJA conferenceMeeting the needs of the modern international family, London (May 2009).
- AIJA - Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats (International Association of Young Lawyers)
- Il Trust in Italia
On a personal note
Out of habit she would say that she enjoys travelling, reading and going to the theatre, but in reality her current favourite is spending her free time with her two young children.