- Education: University of Sheffield, B.A. (Hons) Ancient History • University of Sheffield, M.A. Prehistory and Archaeology
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1984
- Year joined: 2006
- Year became partner: 2006
Andrew is a senior tax partner at Withers and is the head of the firm's international corporate tax practice in London, as well as jointly heading up the firm's Russia and CIS practice. He has practised tax law in the City since 1985, and is experienced in all aspects of international and UK domestic corporate tax law (both direct and indirect). He has a deep interest in VAT and was a member of the original VAT Practitioner Group. He also advises ultra high net worth families based outside the UK on personal tax planning issues and the establishment of offshore trusts.
Andrew has over twenty years' experience of advising clients from the countries of the former Soviet Union across a range of sectors including mining, oil and gas, construction, shipping, mobile telecoms, food distribution and pharmaceuticals. He has been advising clients from Central Asia since 2001 and has worked extensively in the gold mining and telecom sectors in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
His work frequently involves advising on the restructuring of international groups of companies including prior to an IPO, debt capital issue, private equity investment or trade sale. Increasingly Andrew's work involves consideration of tax issues regarding intellectual property and, in particular, where to locate a corporate group's valuable intellectual property rights.
Andrew travels extensively in the countries of the former Soviet Union and is a regular conference speaker both abroad and in the UK. Andrew was one of the first practitioners working with private wealth in the region. Andrew's international tax experience encompasses more jurisdictions worldwide including Asia, Africa, Australia and South America. He has long standing experience of acting for clients from Greece, the former Yugoslavia and Scandinavia.
Andrew is described in Citywealth 2013 as a lawyer who '..combines both an in-depth expertise on corporate taxation with a strong private client knowledge... particularly skilled in dealing with families from Russia and the CIS.'
- on a project to establish the first 5* hotel in Baku, Azerbaijan, the Hyatt Regency (formerly the Nanchivan)
- Kazakhgold Group on its partial acquisition by OJSC Polyus Gold
- Kazakh construction company Base MK on its proposed IPO in the main market of the London Stock Exchange
- the shareholders of Bitel LLC (the leading Kyrgyz mobile phone operator) in the structuring of their shareholding interests in the group
- a Georgian bank in connection with its share incentive arrangements prior to its listing on the London Stock Exchange
- the shareholders of a Russian ISP on its acquisition by a competitor.
- Russian private investors on the acquisition of UK based hotel companies
- a substantial Russian engineering company on the international tax aspects of its group restructuring prior to IPO
- a Ukranian company on a bond issue on the Channel Island stock exchange
Publications and speaking engagements
- Adam Smith Conference, Zurich, February 2016
- CIS Wealth, Moscow, February 2016
- CIS Wealth, Budapest, October 2015
- Cyprus and EU Freedom of Establishment Act seminar, London, June 2015
- IBC tax conference on Russian corporate tax planning, Limassol, April 2015
- Adam Smith conference, Zurich, March 2015
- Cyprus 6th Professional Seminar on tax planning and bilateral investment treaties, September 2014
- Vienna Conference on tax issues related to outsourcing and use of holding companies, May 2014
- in Baku on Azerbaijan and international tax planning, April 2014
- ordans Trust Company seminar on international tax planning for Russian corporates, London, March 2014
- IBC SME Conference in London, November 2013
- European Business Union Conference in Brussels, November 2013
- Bosco Kazakhstan Pro-Invest conference, November 2013
- IBC Conference on future of trusts, Isle of Man, October 2013
- Future of Trusts conference, Isle of Man, October 2012 & October 2013
- IBC Conference re crisis in Cyprus, London, September 2013
- Ukrainian International Fiscal Association Conference, Kiev, March 2013
- Academy and Finance Russian tax conference, Zurich and Geneva, February 2011, March 2012 and March 2013
- Withers/Gazprombank/RBC conference, Kazan, March 2012
- Withers/PWC/LSE IPO conference, Krasnodar, February 2012
- Withers/BDO/LSE IPO conference, Rostov-on-Don, December 2011
- Masterchem conference, Bucharest, May 2011
On a personal note
Andrew enjoys cricket, horse racing, wine, Russian history and literature.