- Education: Coventry University, LL.B. (Hons) Law
- Admitted: England and Wales, 2000
- Year joined: 2003
- Year became partner: 2010
Claire deals with a wide range of family work including divorce, financial claims, cohabitation issues and children disputes. She acts for a variety of domestic and international clients and many of her cases have complex financial arrangements often involving international forum disputes, offshore assets and trusts. She also advises on and drafts pre-nuptial / pre-civil partnership agreements and cohabitation agreements.
Clients are entrepreneurs, professionals and families with inherited wealth. Many of her cases involve trust issues and international issues. She works with married and unmarried clients to help with the financial and children aspects of relationship breakdowns. She also helps clients to organise their financial affairs and children arrangements on cohabitation, prior to marriage and when relocating abroad or moving to England.
Claire has vast complex litigation experience but she is also a collaborative lawyer and a Resolution trained mediator and will adopt DR where appropriate to all forms of work.
'She is a pragmatic and approachable lawyer. She is hands on with her clients and is extremely flexible and adaptable in advising and supporting them. In terms of being an opponent she is courteous, and generous with her time. She is a delight to work with.'
Citywealth Leaders List 2013
'Claire gets to the nub of the issue quickly, efficiently and with aplomb. She is a pleasure to work with.'
Citywealth Leaders List 2015
'Withers LLP’s "mediation team has strength in depth" with the "very experienced" Claire Blakemore'
Legal 500 2015
Claire acted for the husband in BJ v MJ (2011) which deals with the treatment of offshore trusts in financial claims.
Claire acted for the husband in M v M (2010) which was described as a case de nos jours as it dealt with cross-claims by the parties after the value of the assets plummeted because of the global financial crisis. A separate judgment in the case dealt with costs orders in family cases for the first time since the rules were changed in 2006.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Contributor to the legal and national press and legal journals
- Contributing author dealing with financial remedy cases in 3rd Edition of Probate Disputes and Remedies published by Jordans
- Contributor to Legal Network Television
- Speaker at internal and external seminars
- Resolution - Chair of the Skills & Support Working Party
- The London Collaborative Group
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- The Association of Women Solicitors
On a personal note
Claire enjoys spending time with ‘her boys’, exploring new places and seeing familiar faces.
Recent accolades and awards