- Education: Macquarie University, B.Ec/LLB (Hons) • University of Cambridge (Sidney Sussex College), LL.M.
- Admitted: New South Wales, Australia , 1983 • England and Wales, 1990 • Hong Kong, 1990 • British Virgin Islands, 2014
- Languages spoken: Croatian
- Year joined: 2010
- Year became partner: 2010
Denis is Head of International Finance and Projects Practice at Withers. He has a broad range of experience in finance and corporate transactions including structured finance, project financings, securitizations and derivatives, acquisitions and disposals, acquisition financings and insolvencies and restructurings.
His projects and finance experience includes representing lenders, developers and investors in transactions in the energy, telecommunications, ports, oil and gas, transportation, steel, hotel and other sectors in Asia, Europe (with particular emphasis on Eastern Europe), the Commonwealth of Independent States, Africa and the Middle East.
Denis has been listed in Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Project Financing Lawyers, Project Finance Legal Advisers Review and Legal Business' Legal Expert Report (for project finance and energy and resources).
Denis is 'commended for his diligence and thoroughness on banking issues. Sources say that "he knows all the right questions to ask".' (Chambers and Partners 2013). In the 2014 edition Denis is described as 'very experienced, good leader with quick reaction and adjustment to the situation'.
- Advising a family office on establishment of operations in Hong Kong.
- Acting for European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Finance Corporation and other multilaterals on numerous financings in the CIS, the Balkans and other emerging markets in the banking, energy, real estate and other sectors.
- Acting for a European technology owner on potential joint venture projects with PRC parties.
- Representing various developers on biogas and other renewables projects in the UK and Eastern Europe.
- Representing investors and funders on debt and equity investment structures and transactions involving Asian companies.
- Acting for The Royal Bank of Scotland on a project financing in the Polish oil and gas sector.
- Counsel to AES, El Paso, Aquila and Rockland Capital on various financings, disposals and acquisitions of interests in power projects in the UK and other countries.
- Counsel for Master Chem Oil Limited generally on financings, derivatives and petrochem trading contracts.
- Representing international lenders on a $1.2 billion toll road.
- Advising on shareholder disputes, shareholders’ agreements and enforcement of financing documents in the Hong Kong, English and BVI courts.
- Advising BVI and foreign companies on BVI mergers.
- Representing the borrowers under a refinancing of a portfolio of London commercial property investments.
- Counsel to Industrial Promotion Service (Kenya) Limited, a subsidiary of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development on a US$70 million loan from EAIF and FMO to fund its investment in the Seacom project, a US$650 million development of a 15,000 km broadband sub-sea cable along the east coast of Africa.
- Counsel to Astelit, a Ukrainian telecommunications company, controlled by Turkish GSM operator Turkcell, on a US$540 million financing-the then largest private financing in Ukraine-to expand its mobile network.
Publications and speaking engagements
Denis has been a visiting professor at Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, LL.M. program.