Elizabeth A. Bawden
- Education: Wheaton College, cum laude, B.A. • UCLA School of Law, Executive Editor, UCLA Law Review, J.D.
- Admitted: State of CA, 2000
- Year joined: 2015
- Year became partner: 2015
Elizabeth focuses her practice on estate planning, planned giving and tax-exempt organizations. As part of the US Trust, Estate and Charitable Planning Group, she represents clients in matters related to family wealth transfers for large estates, sophisticated estate and gift tax saving techniques, charitable planned giving, and complex probate and trust administrations. She also regularly represents tax-exempt organizations in formation, organizational and operational issues. She is certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization as a legal specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law and a fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
Elizabeth is a graduate of Wheaton College (IL) and the UCLA School of Law where she served as Executive Editor of the UCLA Law Review. After law school, she clerked for Judge Wiley Y. Daniel of the Federal District Court in Colorado. She is currently adjunct faculty at the UCLA School of Law teaching Estate and Gift Tax.
Publications and speaking engagements
- "Shoes for the Cobbler's Children: What Lawyers Need to Know About Estate Planning," Co-Author with Dina Y. Nam, The Recorder, May 4, 2016.
- "How Wealthy Individuals Can Strategically Gift Education,” Co-Author with Dina Y. Nam, Family Wealth Report, December 10, 2015 edition.
- "Strategies and Contemporary Issues in Planning with Grantor Trusts," Co-Author with Dina Y. Nam, 67-14 USC Law School Institutes On Major Tax Planning (2015)
- "Accomplishing Clients' Estate Planning Goals in a Post-ATRA Environment" in Best Practices for Structuring Trusts and Estates, Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters business (2015 ed.)
- "Planning for Non-Traditional Families." In Mittra, Sid, Sahu, Anandi, and Starn, Jr., Harry (Eds.), Practicing Financial Planning for Professionals, American Academic Publishing (11th ed., 2012)
- "Ancillary Probate, Closing the Estate and Reopening Estates," National Business Institute, Long Beach, CA, December 13, 2016.
- "California Fiduciary Taxation," with Alexander M. Popovich, California State Bar Association Taxation Section, May 12, 2016.
- "Moving to Paradise - What You Need to Know about Your Clients' Estate Plans When they Move from California to Hawaii," with Rhonda L. Griswold, University of Hawai'i, April 29, 2016.
- "Fundamentals of Succession & Estate Planning," Paychex and Integrity Financial, April 27, 2016.
- "California: A Taxing Place for Trusts," with Alexander M. Popovich, USC Tax Institute, Los Angeles,CA, January 2016.
- "Relationships between Trustees and Beneficiaries: How to Avoid Conflicts," with Stephen C. Minana and Kenneth E. Petersen, Jr. 41st Annual USC Trust and Estate Conference, Los Angeles, CA, November 2015.
- "Opening the Door to Opportunity: How Charitable Gifts of Appreciated Real Estate Benefit Property Owners and the Charities they Support," Symposium hosted by Caltech, Huntington Hospital, Methodist Hospital and The Henry E. Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens, Pasadena, CA, November 2015.
- "When a Bequest Matures: Navigating the Process, Pitfalls and Best Practices for a Smooth Transition," Western Regional Planned Giving Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, May 2015.
- "Strategies and Contemporary Issues in Planning with Grantor Trusts," USC Tax Institute, Los Angeles, CA, January 2015.
- "Competing, Collaborating and Cultivating - Opportunities to Attract Gifts from Donors with Private Foundations," with Steven J. Chidester, Western Regional Planned Giving Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, May 2014.
- "Recent Developments in Charitable Planning," The Jerry A. Kasner Estate Planning Symposium, Santa Clara, CA, September 2013.
- "Professional Advisor and the Charitable Gift Annuity," Northwest Planned Giving Roundtable's 25th Conference, Portland, OR, September 2013.
- "The Opportunity of a Lifetime: Maximizing the Charitable Impact of a Liquidity Event," California Community Foundation, Los Angeles, CA, May 2012.
- "Fallow Ground or Fertile Soil? The unrealized potential of charitable real estate gifts," Glendale Estate Planning Council, Glendale, CA, February 2012.
- "Ask the Experts Panel: Advanced," Western Regional Planned Giving Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, June 2011.
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation, Professional Advisory Council (2010-2015)
- Los Angeles Country Bar Association, Exempt Organization Section, Chair (2015-2016)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section, Past Chair (2009-2010)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Past Executive Committee of Trusts and Estates Section, (2005-2009)
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning of Greater Los Angeles, Past President (2007)
- Western Regional Planned Giving Conference, Past Conference Chair (2005)