Frederick R. Vandeveer
- Education: University of Utah, B.A. • Brigham Young University - J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D.
- Admitted: State of CA, 1980
- Languages spoken: German
- Year joined: 2015
- Year became partner: 2015
Fred has been practicing trusts and estates law since 1980 and has significant experience in all areas of estate planning and probate/trust administration. He advises a wide range of clients including those with large and sophisticated estates, international estates, and complex probate and trust matters. In addition, Fred also counsels clients on all aspects of their charitable planned giving and has a special interest in establishing and representing family foundations.
He also has substantial expertise in representing tax-exempt organizations, including establishing and representing numerous private foundations.
Fred has lectured and written extensively in his fields of expertise, including estate planning, planned charitable giving, probate and trust, and tax-exempt organizations.
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America®- First Year Listed: 2006 - Most Recent Listing: 2015 (Non-Profit/Charities Law, Trusts and Estates)
- Best Lawyers in San Diego - Most Recent Listing: 2012 - Estate Planning, Tax
- San Diego Super Lawyers - Most Recent Listing: 2016 (Estate Planning & Probate)
- The Daily Transcript: San Diego County Top Attorneys - Most Recent Listing: 2011 (Estate Planning I Probate & Trust)
- SD Metro - Top Legal Minds in San Diego - Most Recent Listing: 2011 (Estate Planning, Tax)
- City National Bank Advisory Board (2009-2012)
- Mercy Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees (2003-2009)
- San Diego Planned Giving Roundtable (2001-present)
- Scripps Planned Giving Advisory Council, Member and Past Chair
- Boy Scouts of America, Desert Pacific Council, Planned Giving Committee (1997-1998)
- San Diego Museum of Art, Trusts and Estates Committee (1991-1996)
- Scripps Foundation for Medicine & Science, Fund Development Committee (1992-1993)
- Member, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Penasquitos Second Ward, Penasquitos California Stake (Bishop 1992-1998)
Publications and speaking engagements
- Author, Charitable Giving, CCH Solutions for Financial Planning, (CCH, 2000) (online publication only).
- Co-author, "Regulation of Fundraising" (Chapter 13), Advising California Nonprofit Corporations, 3d Ed. (CEB 1998).
- Author, "Limited Partnership Can Ease Real Estate Problems for Private Foundations," Journal of Taxation of Exempt Organizations (July/August 1994).
- Planning for Future Generations," Healthy, Wealthy and Wise Seminar (co-sponsored by Scripps Health Foundation), The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, July 10, 2012.
- Lecturer, "Foundations 101 - Legal Basics," Association of Small Foundations (April 20, 2009).
- Lecturer, "Latest and Greatest of Support Foundations," La Jolla Probate Section (April 7, 2005).
- Lecturer, "Cutting Edge Tax Planning with Charitable Entities: Avoiding Stitches!" Annual Meeting of the California Tax Bars (2003).
- Lecturer, "Trustee Leadership Seminar: Tax, Legal and Fiduciary Responsibilities," Association of Small Foundations (2003).
- Lecturer, "Cutting Edge Gift Planning: Avoiding Stitches," Association of Fundraising Professionals, San Diego Chapter (2002).
- Lecturer, "Family Incentive Trusts: Some Ruminations on the Topic," La Jolla Probate Section (2002).
- Lecturer, "Planned Giving," Rancho Santa Fe Community Foundation (2002).
- Lecturer, "Recent Tax Developments for Nonprofits," Nonprofit Breakfast Seminar Series sponsored by Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP. and First National Bank (2001).
- Lecturer, "Are Supporting Organizations the New Super Foundations?" Planned Giving Roundtable of San Diego (September 28, 2000).
- Lecturer, "Advanced Course of Study: Charitable Trusts," California Continuing Education of the Bar (2000).
- Lecturer, "Basic Charitable Planning," State Bar Section Education Institute (2000).
- Lecturer, "How to Avoid Major Pitfalls in Charitable Planning and Recent Developments Affecting Tax-Exempt Organizations," Annual Meeting of the California Tax Bars (1999).
- Lecturer, "Exempt Organizations and Charitable Activities in California," National Business Institute, Inc. (1999).
- Lecturer, "Basic Tax Planning for Charitable Organizations ," Annual Meeting of the California Tax Bars (1998) and State Bar Section Fall Education Institute (1998).
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (2000-present)
- Estate Planning Council of San Diego, Member
- American Bar Association - Exempt Organizations Committee, Tax Section
- San Diego County Bar Association - La Jolla Probate Section, Member and Past Chair
- California State Bar Tax-Exempt Organizations Committee, Member and Past Chair
- San Diego North County Bar Association