- Education: University of Ferrara, Italy, JD equivalent (magna cum laude) , post-graduate course in International Taxation • IBFD - International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, PhD from La Sapienza School of Law, Italy
- Admitted: Italy, 2003
- Languages spoken: Italian • English
- Year joined: 2014
- Year became partner: 2015
Giulia is Head of the Tax Department at Withers’ Italian Practice. She provides domestic and international tax planning advice on commercial, corporate, M&A and real estate transactions.
In addition, she advises private clients, high net worth individuals and families on matters relating to family businesses, transfers, wealth planning, trusts, and succession issues. Many of her clients are sports personalities and creative individuals in the arts and fashion worlds.
Giulia’s practice also includes tax litigation and tax rulings involving both Italian and foreign tax disputes.
She has been particularly active assisting private individuals and companies with become compliant in accordance with Italy's new Voluntary Disclosure Programme.
- Assisted a Italian professional footballer in relation to VAT issues on his transfer to a US professional football team
- Assisted the Italian subsidiary of a French fashion house in relation to the management of their brand under new Patent Box regulations
- Assisted an Italian professional football league on tax matters
- Advised a major US fashion brand on tax issues relating to the opening of their Milan flagship store
- Advised a US global investment manager on the tax implications of opening a branch in Italy
Interviewed after receiving Legalcommunity's 2016 award for tax innovation, Giulia Cipollini comments on the advantages of the new Patent Box regime for Italian companies. Click here to view the interview in Italian.
Publications and speaking engagements
- 'Successioni cross-border – Gestione delle variabili legali e fiscali', Synergia Formazione Srl, July 2015
- 'Patent Box: Rilevanza della proprietà intellettuale regime fiscal agevolato', Synergia Formazione Srl, April 2015
- 'Recent Italian Developments – Lessons for Guernsey Trustees', STEP Guernsey, February 2015
- 'Trust nelle imposte indirette, lo stato dell'arte: recenti aggiornamenti giurisprudenziali e agevolazioni', STEP Italia, September 2014
Giulia also lectures on Italian and international tax law at the University of Florence School of Law, La Sapienza University School of Law in Rome and the University of Pisa School of Law.
- Italian Bar
- STEP (The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
- IFA – International Fiscal Association
- ASLA (Associazione Studi Legali Italiani ) Commission on Taxation and Trusts
- “Il Trust in Italia”
- Member of the Special Commission on Fiscal Studies of the National Council of Italian Notary Publics in Rome, 2002-2007
- AITC - Association of International Tax Consultants
- Association of International Tax Consultants (Board member responsible for international relations)
On a personal note
Giulia's interests include: tennis, skiing, music, theatre and modern art.