Mitchell R. Kops
Global Head of Corporate Tax
- Education: University of Virginia, B.A. • Fordham University School of Law, J.D. • New York University School of Law, Taxation, LL.M.
- Admitted: State of NY, 1995 • State of ME, 1999 • State of CT, 2001 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in the UK, 2004
- Year joined: 2000
- Year became partner: 2004
Mitchell's practice focuses on US international and domestic tax matters. Mitchell advises international and US companies, entrepreneurs and other high net worth individuals, and hedge and private equity funds managers with respect to (i) US and international income tax matters, (ii) inbound, outbound, and domestic business and investment structuring, including matters involving intellectual property, financial products and life insurance, withholding taxes, foreign tax credit planning, US tax reporting issues, and compensation issues, and (iii) a variety of transactions, including business and asset purchases and sales, partnership/LLC and corporate transactions, real estate purchase and sales, fund organizations and liquidations.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Co-author of "CCA 201436049 - Limited Partner Exception to Self-Employment," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, November 2014.
- Co-author of "Offshore Deferred Compensation - RevRul 2014-18," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, August 2014.
- Co-author of "Over the Fiscal Cliff and Back Again - Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, January 2013.
- Co-author of "No Basis for Extending IRS' Statute of Limitations: Supreme Court Finds an Overstatement of Basis is not an Omission of Gross Income," Bloomberg BNA, June 2012. Please click here to read the article on bna.com.
- Co-author of "Corporate Tax Framework Unveiled by Obama Administration," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, February 2012.
- Co-author of "Cross-Border Business Should Benefit From Malta's User Friendly Tax System and US-Malta Income Tax Treaty," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, August 2011.
- Co-author of "Small Business Jobs Act of 2010," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, October 2010.
- Co-author of "Taking Effect 2010: The Evolving Landscape of US Income Tax Treaties," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, September 2010.
- Co-Presenter, "Issues for Foreign Investors in US Real Estate" to the New York State Society of CPA's Real Estate Committee on July 2010.
- Co-author of "IRS Proposes New Tax Return Disclosure of Uncertain Tax Positions Starting 2010," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, June 2010.
- Co-author of "Update on the 2009 U.S.-France Protocol: Potential Significant Changes in the U.S.-France Income Tax Treaty," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, October 2009.
- Co-author of "IRS Issues Favorable Guidance on Election to Defer Cancellation of Debt Income on Repurchase of Debt," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, September 2009.
- Co-author of "Ratification by the Italian Parliament of the 1999 U.S.- Italy Income Tax Treaty Paves the Way for Entry into Force," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, July 2009.
- Speaker, "Finding the Silver Lining: Opportunities in a Challenging Economy," February/March 2009.
- Co-author of "Section 409A Deferred Compensation Update," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, September 2008.
- Speaker, "Freeze Planning: Keeping the Business in the Family and the Family in the Business," November 2007.
- Co-author of "The Real Story on U.S. Real Estate," Withers Bergman LLP Family Office Newsletter, September 2007.
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Maine Bar Association
- New York Bar Association