- Education: University of Liverpool, LL.B (Hons)
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1991
- Year joined: 1994
- Year became partner: 1998
Penny focuses on estate planning for private clients in both the UK domestic and international arena. She is based in London after spending three years on secondment to Withers' offices in the US.
In her 20 years at Withers Penny’s client base is primarily within three main areas: ‘non-doms’ who are living in, or looking to relocate to, the UK; families living in the UK with US and UK issues who need help with their estate planning concerns; and international families who are looking for effective governance structures through which to organise the long term transition of wealth. In the latter context Penny’s client base is mostly located in Latin America.
Penny has worked with our US attorneys to develop a series of US/UK estate planning models designed to demystify the complex arrangements that are required to avoid potential double taxation.
Penny was one of just three Family and Private Client lawyers to be listed in The Lawyer's Hot 100 2015, a report which listed individuals working at the forefront of their practice areas.
'She is eminently popular with clients, who comment that "she provides an individual service, rather than cookie cutter advice. She started out with a clear view of what we needed and guided us to that very successfully".'
‘..a keen intellect with a fantastic attention to detail..’ ‘..an absolute treat to work with.’
Legal 500, 2011
Publications and speaking engagements
Penny is a regular speaker at Withers' seminars and at external events. Recent speaking engagements include:
- STEP Caribbean Conference, April 2016
- STEP Caribbean Conference, May 2015
- Lexis Nexis webinar 'Private Client Tax' 15 September 2014
- Lexis Nexis Conference London 'Private Client Tax: Latin America' November 2012
- STEP New York 'US Breakfast Briefing' Withers LLP October 2012
- International Tax and Trust Congress (Barbados) March 2012
- British American Business Council of New England (Boston, USA) March 2012
- Lexis Nexis webinar 'Residence and Domicile Issues' February 2012
Penny is on the editorial panel of Withers' Practical Trust Precedents and Withers’ Practical Will Precedents. She is also a contributor to Tolleys loose leaf publication 'Planning and Administration of Offshore and Onshore Trusts'.
- Co-author of Navigating the Treacherous Tax North Atlantic: Aspects of Anglo-American Estate Planning, Chapter 18, ABA's Updated Guide to International Estate Planning, November 2013.
- International Bar Association
- Former Chair of the Law Society's Capital Taxes sub-committee
On a personal note
Penny spends her spare time embarrassing her children.