Global Head of Litigation
- Education: Warwick University, B.A. (Hons) Law & Sociology
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1988 • British Virgin Islands, 2013
- Languages spoken: French • Italian • Spanish
- Year joined: 1995
- Year became partner: 1995
Cliccare qui per la versione italiana
Peter specialises in commercial litigation, restructuring and insolvency, credit recovery, arbitration, adjudication and frequently advises Italian and Russian individuals, companies and banks that are active in the United Kingdom. In particular, Peter has over 20 years’ experience advising with regard to company disputes, often advising on shareholder and joint-venture issues.
'Extremely tactically aware'.
Legal 500 2014
'One client describes him as efficient, friendly and a pleasure to deal with.'
Chambers Global 2015
'London-based Peter Wood of Withers LLP is praised for his good judgement and client-handling skills. He is the global head of litigation and regularly handles work for Italian clients. Wood is further a member of the British Italian Law Association and the Italian Chamber of Commerce, for which he acts as honorary legal counsel.'
Chambers Global 2016
- Advising in Arbitration before ICC arising out of termination of an agency agreement between an Italian firm and an Iranian company.
- Acted for Greek clients in substantial LCIA arbitration (under the LCIA rules) in respect of a proposed merger in Greek Pay TV market.
- Advised an Italian company in a dispute with a UK plc over non payment of a rolling steel plant in Wales.
- Acted for an Italian parent company in the closure of its insolvent UK subsidiary.
- ICC Arbitration - acting against an Italian listed multinational for breach of an exclusive agency agreement before the ICC in Paris in which issues of illegality, corruption and international public policy.
- ICC Arbitration - acting for a Greek company against a Jordanian state owned enterprise relating to the termination of a 10-year worldwide agency and distribution agreement.
- ICC Arbitration - acted for a Chinese company (listed on NASDAQ) in an arbitration against an Italian company relating to the termination of a five-year supply agreement in the renewable energy sector.
- Acted in an ad hoc arbitration in proceedings between members of an Italian family relating to division of patrimony and business assets in Italy, Luxemburg, Monaco, Panama, Bahamas and the USA.
- Acted for a UK Financial Services company in an ad hoc arbitration in a claim between it and former members relating to mis-selling of financial products.
- British Italian Law Association - Committee member and ex-President
- Italian Chamber of Commerce, London - Honorary Legal Counsel
- Association of Business Recovery Professionals
- British Hellenic Chamber of Commerce
- Business Club Italia
- Member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
On a personal note
Peter has a keen interest in golf, Aston Villa FC and Greece.