Richard S. LeVine
- Education: Northwestern University, summa cum laude, B.A. • Harvard Law School, cum laude, J.D. • New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- Admitted: State of NJ, 1986 • State of NY, 1987 • State of FL, 1993 • State of IL, 1996 • State of CT, 2002
- Year joined: 2001
Richard has a practice focusing on cross-border estate, gift and income tax planning for owners of privately held companies and other high-net-worth U.S. and foreign individuals.
He focuses on pre-immigration and pre-expatriation tax planning, offshore trusts and foundations deferred compensation planning for fund manager and structures involving life insurance. He has been heavily involved in advising clients on the IRS Voluntary Disclosure programs.
- Structuring UK operations for hedge fund management company.
- Structuring joint venture for US and UK investors in carbon trading operations.
- US tax compliance and trust planning for wealthy Asian family.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Presenter, "Tax and Reporting Requirements on US Executives and Owners of Foreign Corporations,” ANEFAC/Monterrey Tax Club, New York, September 2014.
- Presenter, "Tax Savings Opportunities in the PPLI / PPVA Market,” Tippett Morehead presentation, San Diego, July 2014.
- Presenter, "US Real Estate Investment: Tax & Legal Issues for Non-US Investors," Friedman LLP, New York, June 2014.
- Presenter, "Top Ten Reasons for Foreign Wealth to Continue to Invest in the US," Morgan Stanley International Wealth Management, New York, June 2014.
- Presenter, "FATCA and Foreign Trusts," Bermuda Association of Licensed Trustees, Hamilton, Bermuda, May 2014.
- Presenter, "Use of Life Insurance in Cross-Border Tax Planning," CRUM/CPAM, New York, April 2014.
- Presenter, "Reducing Tax on Active Business Alternative Investments," Landmark Venture Forum, Greenwich, Connecticut, March 2014.
- Panelist, "Advanced Concepts in Deferred Compensation," New Haven Chamber of Commerce, New Haven, Connecticut, October 2013.
- Presenter, "Tax on Foreign Shares Owned by US Persons," CT CPA Society, August 2013.
- Presenter, "Reporting Foreign Financial Accounts Held by US Persons," CT CPA Society, Hartford, Connecticut, July 2013.
- Presenter, "International Insurance Planning," Transnational Taxation Network, New York, May 2013.
- Presentation on "FATCA Checklist for Buy-Side Firms – Where Should You be Now?" presented at Financial Technology Forum FATCA Briefing, New York, March 2013.
- Presenter, "FATCA - Where Should Buy-Side Firms Be Now?," Financial Technologies Forum, New York, February 2013.
- Presenter, "Intergovernmental Agreement," FATCA Implementation Summit, New York, December 2012.
- Presentation on "Tax Consequences of Hedge Fund Structures," presented at Hedge Fund Tax 101, New York, June 2010.
- Co-author of "Must I Still Disclose My Foreign Account?" WIthers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, March 2010.
- Co-author of "Effects of Section 457A on Deferred Compensation," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, November 2008.
American Bar Association
On a personal note
Richard is an avid gardener in the spring and summer months in Connecticut.