- Education: University College, Durham University, LLB Law (Hons)
- Admitted: England and Wales, 2000 • New South Wales, Australia, 2004
- Year joined: 2016
- Year became partner: 2016
Robert heads Withers' Asia Pacific Hotels practice and works from the firm's Sydney and Singapore offices, advising clients across Asia Pacific on transactions in the hotels and hospitality sector. Robert is recognised as a leading lawyer for corporate, finance and M&A matters in the hotels and hospitality industry.
Robert has industry-leading experience, acting for hotel owners and hotel operators on:
- hotel and resort sales, acquisitions and financing
- hotel development - advising on fund and project structuring, including for mixed use sites and joint ventures
- hotel management agreements, acting for property developers, owners, and international hotel operators
- investment structuring and capital raising for hotel funds
- hotel operating leases and franchise arrangements, including master franchise/platform transactions, and
- fractional ownership schemes - advising clients on establishing new shared ownership schemes and existing operators on regulatory and compliance matters.
Publications and speaking engagements
With long-standing relationships in the sector, Robert and his team are uniquely placed to help clients unlock opportunities on hotel deals in Asia Pacific.
Robert regularly speaks at industry conferences in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia, and has presented a number of MasterClass sessions at HICAP events. Robert sits on the Property Council of Australia's NSW Tourism Committee, and on the hotel panel of the Australian Tourism and Transport Forum.
On a personal note
Outside work, Robert enjoys travelling, rugby and surfing.