Shannon Smith Retzke
- Education: Cornell University, Alpha Phi Sorority, Eta Nu Beta Society, Dean's List, B.S. • University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D. • The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, Certificate in Business and Public Policy
- Admitted: State of CT, 2004 • State of NY, 2005
- Year joined: 2004
- Year became partner: 2013
Shannon focuses on income tax legal issues including voluntary disclosure for non-filing individuals and foreign bank account reporting. She advises on partnership tax planning for closely held businesses as well as U.S. income tax planning matters for U.S. individuals. Shannon is admitted to the US Tax Court.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Author, "Phishing Scams Target Tax Professionals," AICPA's The Tax Advisor-Tax Insider, October 27, 2016. Please click here to read the article on AICPA.
- Co-author of "The Urgency of FBAR Reporting for US Persons Living in China," Private Asset Management magazine, August 2016.
- Co-author of "FBAR Deadline Moves Up 3 Months to April 15," Accounting Today, August 2015.
- Guest lecturer on the topic of "Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)," Surgent Professional Education webinar, June 9, 2015
- Speaker on Foreign Bank Account Reporting Compliance and Voluntary Disclosure Options, Surgent McCoy webinar, June 5, 2015
- Co-author of "Better Not Pout - Like it or Not, U.S. Citizens Owe U.S. Taxes," Trusts & Estates, December 2014. Please click here to read the article on wealthmanagement.com.
- Author of "June is Coming - A Brief Reminder That FBAR e-Filing is Now Mandatory," Withers Bergman LLP Stop Press, December 2014.
- Author of "Leaving America for Good – Record Numbers of American Expatriate After IRS Crackdown on Americans Living Abroad," Withers Bergman LLP Stop Press, December 2014.
- Author of "New IRS Streamlined Filing Procedures Expands Eligibility to US Residents and Foreign Residents," Withers Bergman LLP Stop Press, November 2014.
- Author of "New Guidance from the IRS Relating to the Streamlined and Information Procedures," Withers Bergman LLP Stop Press, October 2014.
- Presentation on "US Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and Other Options to Address Unreported Income or Assets" at The 20th World Offshore Convention, November 2013.
- Co-author of "No Basis for Extending IRS' Statute of Limitations: Supreme Court Finds an Overstatement of Basis is not an Omission of Gross Income," Bloomberg BNA, June 2012. Please click here to read the article on bna.com.
- Presentation on "Tax Opportunities in Partnership and Disregarded Entity Formation" at the Continuing Legal Education Seminar Tax Planning for Domestic Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies, March 2012.
- Presentation on "Tax Issues and Strategic Planning for Partnership and LLC Contributions" at the Continuing Legal Education Seminar Tax Planning for Domestic Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies, March 2012.
- Presentation on "Partnership and LLC Equity for Service Providers and Other Tax Issues (and Opportunities) Arising from Management Structuring" at the Continuing Legal Education Seminar Tax Planning for Domestic Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies, March 2012.
- Co-author of "Can US Persons Make a Voluntary Disclosure to Become Tax Compliant After the Close of the IRS Offshore 2011 Amnesty Program?" Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, November 2011.
Author of "Coming Clean - The US Voluntary Disclosure Initiative in Perspective," Offshore Investment, April 2011.
- Co-author of "You Gotta Have Good Faith - or at Least Non-Willfulness," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, June 2011.
- Faculty at National Business Institute’s International Taxation Seminar.
Co-author of "Have I Created a Monster? How to Avoid Accidentally Creating a CFC or a PFIC," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, Summer 2005.
Co-author of "Highlights of the American Jobs Creation Act of 2004," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, Fall 2004.
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Cornell Alumni Admission Ambassador Network (CAAAN) Member
On a personal note
Shannon enjoys photography and wine tasting.