Steven J. Chidester
- Education: Brigham Young University, cum laude, B.A. • Brigham Young University - J. Reuben Clark Law School, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, J.D.
- Admitted: State of CA, 1987
- Languages spoken: French
- Year joined: 2015
- Year became partner: 2015
Steven focuses his practice on estate planning, trust and estate administration, charitable giving and representing tax-exempt organizations.He has designed and used computer modeling to show the economic consequences of various estate planning and charitable giving techniques.
Steven is also experienced in the area of executive compensation, focusing on compensation and intermediate sanctions issues for tax-exempt organizations. Steven has represented exempt organizations in IRS audits, in civil and probate court, and before state Attorneys General.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Most Recent Listing: 2015 (Non-Profit Charities Law and Trusts and Estates)
- San Diego Super Lawyer 2013 - 2016 (Estate Planning & Probate)
- First Distinguished Service Award - Partnership for Philanthropic Planning of Greater Los Angeles - Annual Western Regional Planning Giving Conference 2012
Publications and speaking engagements
- "Advising California Nonprofit Corporations, Third Edition" - Chapter 1: "Attorney's Role During Formation and Operation."
- "Understanding Charitable Lead Trusts: Considerations and Consequences," California State Bar Business Law Section's Nonprofit Organizations Committee Meeting, May 21, 2013.
- Instructor: "Planned Giving 101," Los Angeles.October 21, 2011.
- "Donor Advised Funds and Family Funds," Practical Planned Giving Conference 2011, San Diego.
- "Charitable Giving for Entrepreneurs and Business Owners," Healthy, Wealthy & Wise seminar, San Diego.
- "Charitable Giving: Deferred Giving Techniques" - A two-day course taught annually from 2002-09 and 2014-15 through the California State University, Long Beach Foundation's American Institute for Philanthropic Studies.
- "Gifts of Restricted Stock to Private Foundations" - Presented in 2002 to the Exempt Organizations Committee, Tax Section, California State Bar.
- "Keeping Your Business in the Family: Business Succession Planning" - Presented at a conference sponsored by the Gemological Institute of America in 2001.
- "Funding Charitable Remainder Trusts with Challenging Assets" - Presented in 2000 to the Planned Giving Round Table of San Diego.
- "When is a Gift Not a Gift? - An Analysis of Current Charitable Tax Planning Strategies, Proven and Unproven" - 2000 Annual Meeting of the California Bar Association Tax Section.
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association