Services for art galleries, dealers and advisors
When our clients wish to buy, sell, consign or trade important works of art we help to negotiate agreements with artists, galleries and suppliers, and draw up the appropriate contractual documents. We assist with regulatory issues including import and export regulations and anti money-laundering laws. We deal with various other issues that arise, such as copyright, resale rights, employment matters, health and safety, property acquisition, agency, publicity and disputes over title and provenance as well as taxation.
We oftentimes advise clients making purchases or sales of art on compliance with anti money-laundering regulations such as FCPA (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) issues, and their European equivalents. Where clients are the victims of theft, we enable them to trace stolen art and claim it back; and in the event that someone else claims to own an artwork acquired by a client, we help defend our client's interests in any litigation or arbitration proceedings.
Our gallery client list includes some of the world's most influential commercial galleries, as well as a number of the most prominent art advisers in New York and London. We also work very closely with the top auction houses such as Sotheby’s and Christie’s.
- Representing several of New York’s top galleries for all of their large scale transactions.
- Negotiated consignment agreements with Christie’s and Sotheby’s for record breaking sales and purchases; in Spring 2013 we negotiated a total of over $118,000,000.00 solely in Christie’s sales.
- Advised approximately 20% of the 200 top art dealers of ARTnews 2013 Top Collectors and a majority of the top 10 collectors.
- Acted for one of the top US-based art advisory firms in connection with the acquisition of an important painting by an Italian modern master for one of their clients.
- Provide regular advice to a prominent London-based Swiss contemporary art gallery.
- Represented a major London contemporary art gallery in an appeal against a decision by HMRC.
- Assisted a London art adviser in a transaction with Harrods.
- Successfully defended a London-based art gallery against the claim that a work purchased by the gallery had been looted during World War II.