We have dedicated employment and partnership lawyers in London, Milan, New York and New Haven speaking English, Italian, German, Spanish, French and a bit of Russian. Around the World, we have legal friends we can call on in other jurisdictions.
Our clients tell us that we are friendly, responsive and commercial. We are instructed by clients who care about their reputation and, in litigation, by clients who care about winning. We act for both employers and employees. We believe that understanding what 'the other side' is likely to be thinking helps us to help you.
Our lawyers are recognised in their field and have appeared on television, radio and in the national and specialist press. They speak regularly at leading industry conferences and universities and several are recommended in their national legal directories.
To provide our clients with a comprehensive service, we regularly work alongside our experts in other fields, such as reputation-management; health-and-safety; fraud; charities; corporate law and FCA/regulation. We have extensive experience of shareholders’ disputes (including a reported case in the UK) and directors’ disqualification proceedings.
Whether you call it employment law, labor law or diritto del lavoro, we believe that our field is about human interaction (and a fair bit of technical stuff as well). We therefore feel comfortable advising in any sector. That said, the sectors in which we have particular experience, include:
- Financial services especially acting for hedge funds, asset managers and private banks
- Charities large or small
- Luxury brands especially fashion, including much advice to retailers
- Sports including football clubs and F1
- Entrepreneurial and owner-managed businesses including those with PE funding working towards floatation or sale
- Family offices
- Recruitment and search businesses
- International businesses especially those expanding into or moving staff between Italy, New York, Hong Kong and London
'Daniel and the team at Withers invariably deliver succinct, sound and commercially savvy advice.'
Stephen Marsh, Financial Director, Consolidated PR
'The team was remarkable. I didn't need to repeat anything to anyone. Everybody was up to speed and aware of all the detail at all times.'
'Withers are fantastic at dealing with very high-value claims.'
'They never leave a stone unturned.'
'They have not been determined to push me in any direction but they were clear on the options open to me. They did not sit on the fence and were very clear in their advice and recommendations.'
Chambers, 2014 & 2015
We are interested in long-term supportive relationships and not just big-ticket work. We are here to give our clients day-to-day HR advice, to answer sometimes random questions and to throw ideas around. Some interesting things we have done recently include:
- Advising several City law firms on disputes with their partners;
- Obtaining a 12-month world-wide non-compete injunction for a biotech company;
- Negotiating collective agreements with trade unions;
- Assisting employers with very large redundancy exercises;
- Successfully defending a sex-discrimination and marital-status discrimination claim brought against a charity;
- Guiding a client which was acquiring several hundred public sector workers and then passing them to numerous sub-contractors.