As an entrepreneur you are a busy person, often with complex affairs. A substantial part of your wealth may be tied up in your business ventures. The dividing line between your business and your personal life is frequently blurred.
Our team of lawyers regularly advises entrepreneurs and their businesses and families by providing commercial and tax planning solutions at all stages of their endeavours, across many international markets.
Our entrepreneurs' team includes experienced lawyers from various practice group areas who work together to give seamless advice.
We advise entrepreneurs and emerging companies on:
- commercial arrangements
- corporate structuring
- management and governance
- raising capital
- joint ventures
- strategic alliances
- mergers and acquisitions
Our experience representing angel and venture capital investors enables us to provide valuable guidance to companies involved in capital raising transactions, including best practices for managing relationships with boards of directors and investors. We have represented emerging companies from the start-up phase through going-public transactions, both in the form of traditional IPOs and reverse mergers into public shells.
We advise entrepreneurs and their families on structuring and managing their personal affairs, including:
- implementing inter-generational wealth transfer strategies and vehicles
- relationship formalization
- property purchases and transfers.
We can advise you locally, and are also able to assist with taking your business (and any personal affairs) to a global level.
- Acting for the founders of a successful software business on the sale of the company to one of the world’s largest private equity houses. We achieved the following aims: a tax efficient exit for the founders, protecting the value of sale proceeds re-invested in the purchasing entity and reducing the founders’ exposure to future disputes with the purchaser. We have since acted on the re-investment of their sale proceeds in new business ventures.
- Acting for the founders of a leading online clothing retail business on a partial exit to a luxury goods conglomerate. We successfully advised on the protection of the value of the founder’s retained stake, the negotiation of a new incentive packed for the founder and achieving a tax efficient disposal of part of the founder’s interest.
- Advising the partners of a large financial services business on the structure of their business, succession planning and conversion to limited liability partnership status. This involved a detailed review of the business and its assets, the personal tax profiles of each partner, regulatory issues, the risks inherent in the business and its future aims.
- Advising the founders of a main market listed company on the company’s sale by way of recommended partial offer under the Takeover Code. The advice also extended to setting up an offshore trust and family office structure.