In the past, distressed companies would either be wound up or placed into receivership and broken up as a matter of course. More recently the ability to protect and restructure businesses is key.
We have built upon our longstanding reputation in the market by expanding our insolvency team in the UK and US. This has enabled us to meet the challenge provided growing internationalization of the insolvency and business turnaround market. Our experience and know-how of dealing with complex fraud cases has over the years resulted in significant instructions being obtained in relation to both the main BCCI and Parmalat liquidations.
We advise directors of distressed companies in relation to their responsibilities under the Insolvency Act 1986. We also regularly advise clients on turnaround and reconstruction work, compulsory and voluntary liquidations, administrations, company voluntary arrangements and bankruptcy.
We also assist with cross-border fraud and asset-tracing, and arrange for the cooperation of the English court over letters of request received from courts of other jurisdictions.
Our clients include insolvency petitioners, lending institutions, companies, directors and individuals.
A significant amount of our work involves international insolvencies (often on behalf of foreign insolvency practitioners), and our clients are based in many countries including the UK, US, Italy and Australia.
- Acting for the provisional liquidator of BCCI.
- Acting for the Australian liquidator of the Bond Group in relation to letters of request issued to the English Court and in relation to the realisation of assets located in the UK.
- Acting as the Court-appointed receiver of assets in an action brought by the liquidators of BCCI Cayman.
- Acting for the Italian administrator of a law firm in Milan whose exclusive client had been the Parmalat Group.
- Acting on behalf of the administrator in the administration of Fashion Café (UK) Limited.
- Acting on behalf of the liquidators of MT Realisations Limited in the Court of Appeal determination of fixed and floating charges and financial assistance.
- Acting in the liquidation of a major electronics company, AKAI Holdings, In Hong Kong and Bermuda, including the commencement of proceedings for recovery of US$50 million.
- Advising in relation to retention of title claims brought by large creditors in the administrations of Court (UK) Limited and LDV Limited.