Litigation & arbitration
Many successful people have to assert or defend their legal rights at some time in their lives. Obviously winning is key but keeping the day to day disruption to a minimum is also a consideration.
Our dispute resolution team understands that full scale litigation may not always be the best solution. We therefore try in most instances to help our clients find alternative solutions that stop short of appearing in court or before arbitration panels. Mediation is one of the lynchpins of our work.
When full-scale litigation is required, we aim at all times to provide clients with the qualities they expect: technical excellence, clear tactical, result-oriented advice, lateral thinking, sympathy and objectivity. But most important is ensuring our clients know that when things get tough we will support them all the way.
We have over 100 litigation, mediation and arbitration lawyers worldwide who are experienced in the fields of art and cultural property disputes, employment, professional negligence, equity and fraud and trust conflicts.
A significant portion of our work is international in scope, and we have built up longstanding professional relationships with lawyers in other countries, to help coordinate litigation and dispute resolution across the world. Members of our team speak French, Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, Russian and Romanian.
We act for many different kinds of clients in their disputes, including: individuals, families and family offices; shareholders in public and private companies, members of limited liability companies as well as company directors and employees; creditors and creditors' groups; property owners, developers and tenants; victims of government or commercial maladministration; individual taxpayers, and people who have suffered loss as a result of professional negligence, or who have been defamed, or accused of civil fraud.
- Advising on a potential claim against a firm of solicitors arising from a contract to build a new 96m super yacht. After the project went tens of millions of pounds over budget, we are advising our client on remedies against the solicitors who drafted and negotiated the contract, and also the yacht consultants retained throughout the project.
- Acting for a CEO following his termination of contact, we are pursuing this claim on behalf of our client through arbitration.
- Acting for the owner of an art investment company in their dispute with their high profile PR advisers.
- Advising a high profile American songstress whose image has been used without permission online and in the UK.
- Represented the active defendants in the litigation arising out of the high profile collapse of AIM listed Langbar International (formerly Crown Corporation). The Defence rejects the assertion that the former CEO is guilty of fraud and responsible for the huge losses suffered by innocent shareholders.
- Acted for the shareholding director of a hedge fund, who is being dismissed: a whistleblowing case with share valuation implications.