Media & reputation
As leaders in the field of media law, we are respected and recommended for providing robust and holistic advice to clients, ensuring protection of their reputation, privacy and brand.
For better or for worse, the United Kingdom hosts a notoriously vibrant, even aggressive and intrusive press, with tabloids and broadsheets making and breaking reputations every day, and gaining vast readerships through publicising private and confidential information, damaging individuals and organisations alike. Alongside the traditional press, social media puts in the hands of millions the ability easily to publish information worldwide at the touch of a button, whether or not this information is inaccurate or private, well researched or responsible.
Our team has considerable experience and knowledge in using the legal tools, industry knowledge and long-standing relationships to help you handle all risks to your reputation and private life. We are highly regarded in our field by clients and colleagues, competition and opponents alike.
Our clients include:
- people in the public eye, from politicians to pop stars;
- families and family offices;
- entrepreneurs and philanthropists;
- business men and women;
- international corporations; and
- charities and non-governmental bodies.
Feedback from satisfied clients confirms that the strength of our approach lies in a combination of factors, namely:
- we deploy a full legal and practical armoury to protect and defend our clients' valuable reputations, brands and privacy;
- we deal with problems swiftly but with care and attention;
- we advise practically and pragmatically avoiding the expense of litigation where possible;
- when legal action is necessary, we litigate intelligently and forcefully to achieve objectives, applying for emergency injunctions when required;
- we capitalise on strong professional relationships with members of the Fleet Street press, providing a strong basis for negotiations when necessary; and
- we are well versed with dealing with online issues, including securing the take-down of unlawful material and the prevention of online harassment or bullying.
'I have enjoyed and found it a pleasure working with Amber and the rest of your team and am happy that we made the right choice in appointing Withers for this assignment.'
'to express my thanks to you and the rest of your team for all the effort you have put in on our behalf. Special thanks also to Amber for her help in nipping in the bud, what could potentially have been a public relations crisis on our hands.'
- 'Knowledgeable and experienced' (Legal 500 2010)
- The team is ‘excellent in all respects’ while Amber has ‘an amazingly clear understanding of libel law’ (Chambers and Partners 2011)
- Client sources are quick to pay tribute to her commitment to client service, praising her communication skills and the speed with which she responds to enquiries' (Chamber and Partners 2013)
- ‘She gives realistic responses to questions and explained all the issues clearly' (Chambers and Partners 2010).
- 'They're very professional, very thorough and very prompt.' (Chambers and Partners 2014)
- 'They're friendly, professional and welcoming.' (Chambers and Partners 2014)
View our introduction to the team video
If you have any reputational or privacy concerns, please contact the Media & Reputation team.