We act for private equity funds, family offices and their portfolio companies, predominantly on cross-border transactions, both in Europe and the US. We also act for LPs on secondary sales of LP interests and on disposals of interests in co-investments. We also frequently act for managers joining or departing from private equity firms on their employment terms and on their participation in carry and co-investment arrangements.
Many of our clients are backed by private equity firms and we regularly advise them on buying out the incumbent private equity house and on the implications of secondary buyouts. We have acted on a significant number of MBOs for management teams and sellers and we also advise on public-to-private transactions.
A number of our well-known fashion and celebrity clients have been backed by venture capitalists. IP licences are key to these transactions and we have a team of specialists to call upon. We also work closely with our leading tax and finance lawyers to ensure that the optimal tax structures are in place for the management team or venture capitalists and to negotiate the debt elements of any private equity investment.
Our family office clients increasingly compete against trade buyers and private equity houses for transactions and we regularly assist them on a range of private equity investments.
- Advising Christopher Kane on the acquisition by Global Luxury Brands Group Kering
- Advising Anya Hindmarch on the investment by Mayhoola
- Advising Jonathan Anderson on the acquisition by Global Luxury Brands Group LVMH
- Advising Nicholas Kirkwood on the acquisition by Global Luxury Brands Group LVMH
- Advising Newbay Media LLC, part of the Wicks Group (a New York based private equity firm) on the acquisition of Intent Media Limited, a UK magazine publisher
- Acting for Soho House, the luxury private members’ club group, in the sale of a majority stake to Yucaipa company
- Acting for the majority shareholders on the sale of their stake in QPR Football Club to Tony Fernandes’s Tune Group and previously acting on the takeover of QPR Football Club by the selling shareholders
- Advising Natalie Massenet, the founder of online luxury fashion retailer Net-a-Porter on its £350m sale to Swiss luxury goods Richemont
- Acting for the founders of the South Beach Diet in the sale of the South Beach Diet brand to MidOcean Partners
- Advising a South American Family Office on various investments in AIM listed gold mining company, Serabi Gold plc, by way of share subscription and rule 9 whitewash
- Advising Hugh Willis on his acquisition of a 35% equity stake in Morgan Hunt Limited, a leading UK recruitment agency
- Advising Jennifer Moores on her investment in Harry’s of London Limited alongside US Private Equity House, Palladin
- Advising PRC investors on their investment in a semiconductor startup based in Silicon Valley for technology development in China
- Advising New York based investment fund on its equity and debt investment in listed German tech company and a JV in China involving the financing and construction of 4 manufacturing facilities in the PRC using pyrolytic technology
- Advising on a Series B Preferred Stock issuance in an Internet and e-commerce company based in Sweden to a top-tier Silicon Valley venture capital firm
- Advising on the sale of $30 million of common stock in a Japanese mobile communication company to US and Japanese strategic and financial investors
- Acting for a Japanese Internet startup, including equity compensation plan for recruiting engineers in Silicon Valley
- Acted for a Japanese software and robotics startup and provided US securities regulations advice regarding crowd funding
- Advising a Japanese venture capital investor in its investments in portfolio companies with business and operations in the US
- Advising on a $2 million Series A Preferred Stock financing for a social media company
- Advising on the sales of Series C and D Convertible Preferred Stock and recapitalization of provider of micro-data transmission technology for a developer and provider of micro-data transmission technology for cellular telephone handsets to a syndicate of venture capital investors
- Advising Peter Lammer and Jan Hruska on the sale of Sophos, the IT security and data protection specialist, to Apex for US$830 million
- Acting for the portfolio companies Black Canyon, Clearlight Partners and Wicks, in acquiring target companies in the UK, Switzerland and Italy
- Advising the management team on the £900 million buyout of Premium Credit Limited
- Advising the management team of Skydox regarding the acquisition of Workshare.