Tax planning is a dynamic area where advanced planning is paramount in optimizing results and minimizing adverse consequences.
A key area on which we regularly advise clients is that of double taxation agreements. We have extensive knowledge of this complex area and are able to guide clients efficiently and thoroughly in order to minimize the incidences of withholding taxes.
Our tax team provides innovative tax analysis solutions in the following areas, both domestically and internationally:
- Corporate tax planning
- Partnership tax planning
- Fund Structuring
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity Investments
- Real Estate Investments
- Tax Treaty Planning/Withholding Taxes
- Tax controversies
- Exempt Organizations
- VAT and other indirect taxes
- US State taxation.
Our client base includes public and multi-national corporations, privately-held companies, management teams, entrepreneurs, investment funds and fund managers and family offices.
They are engaged in a wide range of activities, such as mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity finance, real estate, fund formation and structuring, private equity investments. They operate through partnerships and limited liability companies, and non-profit and charitable entities.
Our clients are based in Europe, North America, Asia and the CIS (such as the Russian Federation, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan). Members of our UK team have particular experience in the transportation, telecom, construction, and oil and gas sectors.
- Acting for the CEO of a new confectionary company in his acquisition of a significant equity stake. This company was the franchisee of a large US operation that was determined not to lose its brand control. We successfully managed to: protect him in his commercial position as a significant minority shareholder and employee; minimize his potential to UK income tax on his incentive package and ensure there were no adverse US tax consequences arising as a result of his US citizenship.
- Assisting a private equity fund in respect of investment in a major Russian transportation company through a Swedish holding vehicle.
- Advising on the VAT liability of a UK freight container repairs business.
- Tax counsel to a US shareholder of a public Middle East-based corporation on its reverse merger transaction and the US shareholder's private placement of stock.
- Working with 7 principals of a $1+ billion private equity fund to structure the tax-efficient transfer of their interests in a new fund to wealth transfer vehicles.
- Advising a main market listed CIS financial institution on its employee incentive arrangements.