Our global tax investigations practice advises high profile individuals, international families and trustees, as well as companies and other financial institutions, in relation to both civil and criminal tax fraud investigations and litigation conducted by the tax authorities. We also assist clients who have promoted high risk investments which are under investigation by tax authorities. With offices in the UK, Switzerland, USA, Singapore, Italy, BVI and Hong Kong, we are well-placed to respond quickly and efficiently to any international investigation.
If you or your business has received notification of a tax inquiry, we can provide you with solutions, including advice on investigations, negotiations and the most appropriate course of action. We also work closely with our international commercial litigation team if there is the possibility of claiming damages against other parties, and can call on our media and reputation team to resolve any privacy concerns.
We often work with leading accountancy firms to minimise the client's risk of prosecution and to ensure that only the correct amount of tax is payable. We help individuals around the world who wish to come forward and make a voluntary disclosure of unpaid taxes whilst ensuring that the process is handled safely, confidentially and with full protection from a criminal investigation wherever possible. Once an enquiry is completed, we can offer bespoke tax planning advice to structure your tax affairs in the most efficient manner.
Our global clients include sophisticated investors, traders, hedge fund managers, accountants and leading corporations.
View our video on how we can assist you with a tax investigations issue
- Acting for high profile individuals in the international football industry in relation to a Code of Practice 8 investigation.
- Securing a nil penalty on liabilities arising from taxable remittances following a tax return check under Section 9A Taxes Management Act 1970 for a non-UK domiciled high net worth individual.
- Advised in respect of a multimillion pound marketed tax avoidance scheme which HMRC suspect is fraudulent.
- Advised on a £5 million pension fraud involving accountants who were acting as trustees and administrators of Pension schemes which were investigated by HMRC, FSA and the Pension Regulator.
- Advised a number of HNW individuals who have been the subject of Code of Practice 9 investigations arising out of HMRC’s Montpelier tax investigations.