Investment Treaty Arbitration
We have a leading specialist investment arbitration practice advising both investors and sovereign states as counsel and advocates. The businesses with which we work make investments around the world. They often call on us to ensure these are adequately protected from commercial and political risk in the context and framework of international investment law.
The predominant focus of our investment treaty practice is representing our clients on investment arbitrations, particularly under ICSID and UNCITRAL arbitration rules. We have a stand-out practice advising Governments on drafting investment treaties.
Our established investment treaty arbitration practice is grounded in the extensive expertise and strong track record of our dedicated team. Our team has advised on some of the highest profile and most complex investment treaty arbitration matters and is highly regarded in the field. Our practice spans investment disputes around the globe.
‘The framework that allows international investors to have recourse to binding arbitration in a neutral forum for disputes with host states remains a central feature of the investment treaty architecture,’ explains Hussein Haeri, international arbitration partner.
Recent cases include acting for a UK investor in an ICSID-administered expropriation case against the Czech Republic relating to the provision of technology solutions for blind people. We represent an international energy company in an ICSID arbitration against a state in Europe and a European company in the manufacturing sector in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration against a North African state.
Our clients appreciate our ‘deep technical knowledge of investment treaty arbitration’ and ‘clarity of strategic direction’. They have described partner Hussein Haeri as ‘highly knowledgeable of international investment law, including important nuances, complexities and intricacies of the field’ and praised his work as ‘excellent in every way’. They laud the team as working ‘with high dedication to achieve a positive result’ and attribute our success to our ‘strong submissions, careful legal and factual analysis, persuasive arguments and excellent advocacy’.
For further help or informationGet in touch
Meet the team
How the team can help
- Representing a Mauritian energy company as counsel and advocates in an investment treaty arbitration against Pakistan under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
- Conducting an extensive project for a Government client advising them on international investment law issues and drafting an innovative model bilateral investment treaty.
- Advising a Caribbean Government on a range of international investment law issues.
- Advising a German investor in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration claim in relation to discrimination measures taken by an African State.
- Advising a government in the Middle East on its investment treaty program.
- Representing the Claimant as counsel and advocates in an UNCITRAL arbitration, which is administered by the ICSID Secretariat. Our client is a leading assistive technology company in an expropriation dispute with the Czech Republic under the UK-Czech Republic bilateral investment treaty.
- Advising on a dispute over an investment in the energy sector and ICSID investment treaty arbitration claim against a European state. Our client is seeking damages for breach of fair and equitable treatment, expropriation and other treaty standards.
We can also help with
InsightView all Firm insight
27 August 2015 - Blog
Bilateral investment treaties: much more than a BIT of protection from political risk
26 April 2018 - In The Press
Press release: Withers hires distinguished investment treaty arbitration and public international law specialist Aniruddha Rajput
Would you like to hear more from us?
Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.