18 May 2010

Charities in England and Wales: new proposals for the disposals of land

Currently, charities wishing to sell or otherwise dispose of real property are normally required to obtain a written report from a qualified surveyor, registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

Charity trustees must also reasonably believe that the surveyor has ability in, and experience of, the valuation of the particular kind of land being disposed of and the particular area in which the land is being disposed.

The government is proposing that Fellows of the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA), holding either their Diploma in Residential Estate Agency or a comparable qualification, and have at least five years’ experience, should also be permitted to advise charities on disposals of land.

The government has opened a consultation on this proposal and is inviting responses until 7 June 2010. More information is available on the OTS’ website

Category: Article