Investment Treaty Arbitration
Public international law
Our established team has advised on some of the highest profile and most complex arbitration matters globally and is highly regarded in the field.
We advise on the entire spectrum of international law work, ranging from State-State disputes before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and ad hoc arbitral tribunals to advising on human rights disputes (including before U.N. committees) and international law in national courts.
Whether you’re looking for advice on international investment law, land and maritime boundary disputes, the law of the sea, sovereign and diplomatic immunity, sanctions, trade law, international environmental law, human rights litigation, international humanitarian law, the law of international organisations or enforcement – we can help.
Experience advising both investors and States
We have an established investor-state arbitration practice with numerous investment treaty arbitration cases, representing both international investors and sovereign states.
Our dedicated team works with clients around the world to resolve investor-State disputes under all the major arbitration rules, as well as ad hoc arbitrations across a wide range of sectors including, but not limited to, energy, natural resources, infrastructure, manufacturing, technology, construction and finance.
We also have an experienced practice advising Governments on drafting investment treaties and investment legislation, a rare focus in private practice in the field of public international law.
International support to suit your needs
Made up of more than 20 lawyers worldwide, our team is spread across London, New York, Milan, Singapore, Hong Kong and the British Virgin Islands. Our members are fluent in numerous languages, including French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Chinese and Turkish and are qualified in both common and civil law jurisdictions, with extensive experience working in international organisations and emerging markets. We act as strategic advisors, conducting our own oral advocacy in public international law and human rights matters. These key factors contribute to the strength of our practice.
We are able to advise a variety of clients, namely Governments, multinational corporations, international organisations, non-governmental organisations and individuals, in the context of sensitive disputes involving different regions of the world, including in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, CIS countries, Europe, Russia and Latin America.
A leading practice
Clients have praised our team’s ‘deep technical knowledge’ and ‘impressive ability to assess and navigate complex legal and factual situations’, whilst also acknowledging our ‘responsiveness and professionalism’ as being ‘of a very high order’ and appreciating our ‘excellent customer focus’.
Members of the team have also been commended for blending ‘strategic thinking with excellent client management skills’ and are known for their ‘practical and creative strategies’.
For further help or informationGet in touch
- Advising a State in a potential State-to-State dispute in relation to international environmental law issues.
- Advising a State in relation to discrimination issues arising under a human right treaty.
- Advising a State in relation to issues pertaining to freedom of navigation and the law of the sea.
- Advising a government in the Middle East on its investment treaty program.
- Advising an NGO in relation to human rights issues to present a shadow letter to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- Advising an international organisation in relation to EU-Russia sanctions.
- Advising a German investor in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration claim in relation to discrimination measures taken by an African State.
- Advising an Italian client in a dispute over an investment in the energy sector and ICSID investment treaty arbitration claim against a European state. Our client is seeking damages for breach of fair and equitable treatment, expropriation and other treaty standards.
- Conducting an extensive project for a Government client advising them on international investment law issues and drafting an innovative model bilateral investment treaty.
- Advising a Caribbean Government on a range of international investment law issues.
- Representing a Mauritian energy company as counsel and advocates in an investment treaty arbitration against Pakistan under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
We can also help with
InsightView all Firm insight
03 October 2022 - Firm News
Withers strengthens Tokyo corporate practice with hire of senior lawyer Kazumitsu Goto
30 September 2022 - Blog
Celebrating Grandparents' Day in the UK – the role of Grandparents and their importance in children's lives
30 September 2022 - Article
We're all in this together – a holistic approach to safeguarding in UK schools: Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022
29 September 2022 - Firm News
Legal 500 UK 2023 recommends Withers as leading firm in 24 areas of law
27 September 2022 - Article
Clothing company Patagonia is gifted to non-profit The Holdfast Collective: A UK perspective
26 September 2022 - Article
Bullying and harassment policies: update from the Charity Commission for England and Wales
Would you like to hear more from us?
Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.