- Education: New York University (1994), Masters in Taxation • University of Pennsylvania (1991), J.D. • Georgetown University (1988) , B.S.B.A. • London School of Economics,
- Admitted: California, 1991 • District of Columbia, 1994 • Connecticut, 1995 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in Hong Kong, 2011 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in Singapore, 2012
- Year joined: 1994
- Year became partner: 2002
Jay heads Withers wealth planning group in Asia and manages the firm's Singapore office. Jay's personal practice focuses on cross-border tax efficient wealth, business and inheritance structuring. Typical clients include family businesses, fund managers, high net worth families, single and multi-family offices, trustees, insurers and financial institutions.
Jay has been heavily involved in advising individuals on the IRS voluntary disclosure programs and both individuals and institutions on the implications of the new US Foreign Account Tax Compliance (FATCA) legislation.
'..unfailingly committed and responsive with a talent for delivering pragmatic but innovative solutions.'
Jay has appeared on CNN, CNBC and the BBC Radio 4 'Today' programme, and has been quoted by numerous news services, including Reuters, and a number of periodicals, including the South China Morning Post, WealthBriefing Asia, Asia Private Banker, Asian Investor among others.
Jay previously spent eight years based in Wither's London office co-heading the firms Funds, Investment, Tax and Trust group and helping to create and implement innovative planning structures. For example, following the 2006 UK changes to the taxation of lifetime transfer into trusts, Jay led the development of intergenerational family partnership wealth transfer planning for UK domiciliaries and deemed domiciliaries through the use of family partnership structures and following the 2008 UK changes to the taxation of resident non-domiciliaries, Jay lead the development of investment and inheritance planning for the UK market through innovative insurance and annuity structures.
Publications and speaking engagements
- CNBC interview - UBS, US seek to delay tax evasion trial click here to watch the full interview.
- IBC: The Future of Trusts and Alternative Constructs 2009 London (Family Partnerships)
- IIR International Trusts Congress 2008 London (Alternative to Trusts).
- IIR Alternative Investment Congress 2008 Miami (Offshore Life Insurance).
- Lexis Nexis Tax Planning and Private Equity Seminar 2008 London (US Investor Issues).
- STEP Journal: A New Era Begins (Family Partnerships for UK Domiciliaries and Deemed Domiciliaries) (November 2007).
- STEP Journal: More Art than Science? (PTC Structures for US Beneficiaries of Offshore Trusts).
- Withers US/UK Handbook.
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- British American Business
- European American Tax Institute
- American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong