- Education: Cornell University, A.B. • Stanford University Graduate School, M.A. • University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D.
- Admitted: State of CT, 1989 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in the UK, 2006 • Washington D.C., 2007 • State of NY, 2008
- Languages spoken: Italian
- Year joined: 2006
- Year became partner: 2006
Jim leads the firm's US Real Estate practice which handles both residential and commercial transactions, particularly for foreign real estate investors and for organizations in the commercial, non-profit, luxury, hotel and art sectors.
Jim combines his experience from his 14 years as the Associate General Counsel for Yale University to provide clients in the non-profit world with advice on real estate, endowment and commercial engagements of many kinds.
Jim is also a member of our US Italian Desk working closely with our commercial team in the US and our offices in Milan and Padua to assist with cross-border commercial and real estate transactions and acting as liaison with our Italian clients and investors interested in Italy.
- $100 million financing for New York healthcare organization.
- Drafting retail, office and ground leases for US and foreign art galleries, museums, luxury fashion and other tenants.
- Structuring and closing luxury residential transactions, including one of the largest sales recorded in US history.
- Represented foreign investor in acquisition of key stake in prime Boston retail property.
- Represented Italian company in acquisition of South Carolina factory.
- Advised international retailer on US leasing.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Financing 2013," Practising Law Institute, February 2013.
- Co-Author, "New Italian Tax on Foreign Real Estate," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Note, March 2012.
- Presenter, "Legal Aspects and Transactions of the Townhouse Market," Leslie Garfield Real Estate, March 2012.
- Presenter, "Representing the Foreign Buyer," Stribling & Associates, March 2012.
- Presenter, "Inbound Foreign Investors," Eastside Owners Association, February 2012.
- Moderator, "Families, Family Offices and Real Estate," New York Real Estate Expo, November 2011.
Author of "Owning US Real Estate: Depressed US Real Estate Yields a Rare Second Chance at Proper Structuring," Offshore Investment, October 2011.
- Panelist, "Moving Across the Pond: Legal Considerations for Expanding to New York," London to NYC Forum sponsored by New York City Economic Development Corporation, December 2010.
- Co-Presenter, "Foreign Investment in US Real Estate: Challenges and Opportunities," New York Real Estate Expo, November 2010.
- Co-Presenter, "Issues for Foreign Investors in US Real Estate," to the New York State Society of CPA's Real Estate Committee on July 2010.
- Co-Host, "Greenwich Entrepreneur" Radio Program, WGCH 1490 AM (Greenwich).
- "Mixed Use Projects-Public/Private Partnerships," Annual Meeting of National Association of College and University Lawyers, Toronto, June 2009.
- "Mining Silver From a Gray - Real Estate Market: Hidden Value in Leases," GC New England, Second Quarter 2009.
- Cornell University, "The University as a Participant in Real Estate Markets" - guest lecturer, January 2009.
- Yale University, Yale Law School - Co-taught in Housing & Community Development Clinic Fall 1995-Spring 1997; guest lecturer in subsequent years.
- Yale University, School of Forestry and Environmental Sciences - Co-taught graduate course, "Strategies for Land Conservation: Law, Finance and Management" at Yale Spring 2003-04; Guest lecturer in subsequent years.
- Columbia University - Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; guest lecturer - Affordable Housing Development 2002-Present.
- Yale Business Managers Institute- Taught two hour training session on legal issues in procurement for Yale executives several times each year.
- "College and University Investments," National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, New York, NY June 25, 2008.
- "Compliance by Affiliated Foundations and Other Related Entities," National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, April 20, 2007.
- "You Want to Do What, Where?: Start-ups On and Around Campus," National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., November 1, 2002.
- "The Use of Affiliated Entities by Private Universities: Challenges and Opportunities in Governance, Conflicts of Interest, and Liability Limitation," National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., June 2000.
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- President, Friends of FAI - The Foundation for the Italian Environment Foundation, Inc.
- Board Member, Saint Raphael Healthcare System
- Board Member, Center for American Studies Society
- Honorary Trustee, The St. Thomas More Corporation
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Fellow, Timothy Dwight College, Yale University
- Co-Founding member of Higher Education Real Estate Lawyers Group
On a personal note
Jim enjoys cooking in his free time. His wife says that's because he has so little of it.