- Education: Princeton University, magna cum laude, A.B. • Columbia University, J.D.
- Admitted: State of CA, 1974 • Washington D.C., 1976 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in the UK, 2002 • State of NY, 2004 • Registered Foreign Lawyer in HK, 2008
- Languages spoken: Spanish • French • Dutch
- Year joined: 2002
- Year became partner: 2002
Joe represents substantial international families in the US, Europe, Middle East and Asia on structuring their affairs and estate planning. He also advises financial institutions with respect to the establishment of international trust companies and a wide variety of financial services, particularly with respect to life insurance.
He is a frequent speaker at international conferences on legal issues facing international families and family offices.
- Founders' award for outstanding achievement 2011 from the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Legal Week Top Private Client Lawyers Ranking 2012
- Citywealth Top Leading Lawyers 2012
- Citywealth Top 100 in the Wealth Profession 2007
- Citywealth Top 100 Americas 2006
- New York Achiever of the Year CityWealth Americas Magic Circle Awards 2006
- Former head of International private client (Europe) at the U.S. law firm Bryan Cave
- Conseil Juridique in France
- Former managing partner for Withers in Asia
Publications and speaking engagements
- "Family Office Investing: Tax and Regulatory Considerations," Landmark Venture Forum, Greenwich CT, September 2014.
- Speaker, “Around the World in 70 Minutes”, STEP Boston, February 2013.
- Co-author of "Full U.S. House of Representatives Passes The Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2009," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, December 2009.
- Co-Author with Edward Vergara, "Managing Risk," Wealth Manager Magazine, January 2009.
- Presentation at Withers Bergman LLP Annual International Trust and Tax Planning Conference, "Americans Abroad: Successfully Moving People, Money and Businesses out of the US," New York, June 2005.
- Presentation of "Demistifying the Regulatory Morass A Little Legal Windex," HSBC, Geneva, March 2005.
- Presentation of "Undiscovered Opportunities: Maximizing Asset Location Planning," Family Office Exchange, Chicago, London and Jersey, March 2005.
- Presentation of "Multinational Unintentional Inheritance Wrinkles: Forced Heirship, Sham Trusts, Joint Accounts, Community Property Stiftungen, Anstalten and Powers of Attorney," Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, New York, March 2005.
- Presentation of "Tax Fraud: The Implications for Offshore Practitioners," CDP Plus, Jersey, March 2005.
- Presentation at Withers Bergman LLP Annual Conference on Trust and Tax Planning, "Coming Here but Being There: Planning for the Cross-Border Client," New York, June 2004.
- Editor of Private Wealth Management, a directory for the Private Banking industry.
- Co-Author of Asset Protection Trusts with Milton Grundy and John Briggs.
- Editor of Investing Through Life Insurance, a book for the International Tax Planning Association ('ITPA').
- Editor of Planning and Administration of Offshore and Onshore Trusts (with Simon Jennings and Anthony Travers) a book for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners ('STEP').
- California Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners