Registered Foreign Lawyer
- Education: University of Birmingham, LL.B (Hons) Law
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1991 • British Virgin Islands, 2012
- Year joined: 1997
- Year became partner: 2003
Katie is a member of the International team of the Wealth Planning department and she joined the Hong Kong office in October 2010. She works with international families in relation to the establishment of complex trust structures, including Sharia compliant trusts.
Katie has advised a number of international families in relation to the creation of family offices and continues to advise the families on all aspects of UK tax (where relevant) and fiduciary issues and coordinating foreign tax and other advice for the family office and family members.
Katie advises UK expatriates and Asian families with UK connections on their personal tax issues.
Katie also advises trustees on a range of matters including the consequences of holding UK assets or having UK resident beneficiaries and the issues arising from the involvement of the trustees in commercial transactions.
'...very proactive and efficient...'
' ...extremely competent and technically precise in advice and her execution …’
Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- Drafting legislation to establish a single family office platform for a financial centre.
- Trust and estate planning for a prominent Asian family in conjunction with family law advice in advance of a member of the family's marriage.
- Setting up an offshore structure for an African based family using a Cayman private trust company and drafting governance documents reflecting the family's strong philanthropic ethos.
- Advising a Middle Eastern family in connection with the review of the various family structures and the ownership of family assets following the sudden death of the patriarch, including considering, in conjunction with Counsel, whether any transactions entered into by the patriarch were caught by the death sickness rules.
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners