Reaz H. Jafri
Partner, Head of Immigration (US and Asia)
- Education: New York University, B.A. • St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- Admitted: State of NJ, 1991 • State of NY, 1992
- Languages spoken: Urdu • Hindi
- Year joined: 2012
- Year became partner: 2014
Reaz has more than 20 years of experience advising large, multi-facility healthcare providers, research foundations, American businesses, multi-national companies, foreign investors and high-net worth individuals on all aspects of immigration law and regulatory compliance. Reaz has developed a sterling reputation as a knowledgeable, creative and solution-oriented attorney. Reaz fully understands the commercial benefit of predictable, efficient immigration counsel as well as the personal and professional implications of immigration upon the lives of executives, investors, business owners, and professionals.
Reaz concentrates on business, investment and employment-based cases and has successfully assisted clients in obtaining nonimmigrant or temporary visas. On matters relating to immigrant visas or 'green cards' Reaz has extensive experience in successfully filing employment-based cases including extraordinary ability petitions, outstanding researcher petitions, multinational executive petitions, National Interest Waiver petitions, Application for Permanent Employment Certification and Investor-based petitions (EB-5). In addition, Reaz has represented many hundreds of individuals on family-based immigration matters.
A trusted advisor to other law firms, Reaz serves as immigration counsel to companies and law firms on M&A transactions, advises clients on intergovernmental matters, represents foreign companies and investors in establishing US offices and counsels US companies in establishing foreign operations.
Reaz is a long-standing member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and involved in AILA's legislative efforts. Reaz is a 1991 graduate of St. John's University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review, and a 1987 graduate of New York University. Reaz is a former Trustee (2000-03) of the Interest on Lawyers Account Fund, having been appointment by Governor George Pataki. He is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey as well as the United States Districts Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York and District Court of New Jersey. He recently passed the Florida Bar and is awaiting admission.
Reaz has written on the subject of immigration law and foreign physicians and given lecture and presentations to hospitals and medical associations.
- Assisted in the transfer of US employees to China for a global entertainment conglomerate.
- Consolidated and took lead in managing immigration filings for one of America’s largest healthcare systems.
- Routinely represents individuals of extraordinary ability in business, sciences and art in obtaining employment visas and green cards.
- Advocated on behalf of US citizenship renouncing persons and convinced US Department of State to amend the Foreign Affairs Manual to allow renouncing citizens to retain their US passports while waiting for Department of State to issue the Certificate of Loss Nationality, and thereby permit these persons to continue to be able to travel to the US.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Quoted, "Trump considers writing 'brand new' immigration order," The Washington Post, February 10, 2017.
- Quoted, " Trump's Travel Ban Leaves Global Business and Entrepreneurs Hanging," Los Angeles Times, January 31, 2017.
- Chair and Speaker, Geneva CBI / Trust Conference, Geneva, Switzerland, June 2016.
- Co-Author, "IRS Says 'You Owe Us Money–Bye Bye US Passport!'," Trusts & Estates, June 2016.
- Panelist, "Foreign Investments in the U.S." Expert Webcast, May 2016. Click here to listen.
- Panelist, "US Immigration for the Ultra High Net Worth Families: What's Hot, What's Not, Expert Webcast, May 2016. Click here to listen.
- Interview, "Emerging Numbers of US Investment Immigration with Mainland Chinese Applicants Being the Majority," Phoenix TV (Chinese television broadcast), October 2015.
- Speaker, Citizenship by Investment & International Residence, October 2015.
- Speaker, 22nd World Offshore Convention, Havana, Cuba, October 2015.
- Interview, 'Yes, the State Department can jump on a problem and fix in record time,' The Washington Post, March 2015.
- Interview, 'Renunciation process eased for US passport holders looking to escape FATCA,' eprivateclient.com, March 2015.
- Quoted, 'Veteran Fairfax Supervisor Gross Faces Challenger in Democratic primary,' asisaeu.com, March 2015.
- Interview, 'Capital Public Law Report: Garner decision delays grand jury reforms; Lynch in Limbo,' capitalnewyork.com, March 2015.
- Interview, 'You can check out now,' The Times, March 2015.
- Interview, 'Renouncing US Citizens Gets A Bit Easier with Passport Victory; Exodus Grows – Lawyers,' wealthbriefing.com, March 2015.
- Quoted, 'Give Up Citizenship, Keep Your Passport,' forbes.com, March 2015.
- Interview, 'U.S. Government Changes Citizen Renunciation Passport Policy After Criticism,' wsj.com, March 2015.
- Co-Author, "Navigating Complex US Immigration Laws: US Visas & Taxation," The International Comparative Legal Guide to Private Client, 2015 Edition.
- Interview, 'Hong Kong, U.S. Keep Visa Door Ajar', Barron's Asia, February 12 2015.
- Panelist, 'We're all in this together – why are we not working together?,' Legal Week Private Client Forum Americas 2015, Papagayo, Costa Rica, February 2015.
- Quoted, 'Wealth Management: A home away from home,' globalcapital.com, December 15 2014.
- Quoted, 'Wealthy Chinese Look Beyond The American Dream,' wealthx.com, November 18, 2014.
- Interview, 'Withers suggests alternatives routes for backlogged Chinese applicants immigrating to the US,' asianprivatebanker.com, November 7, 2014.
- Quoted, 'US tax law no red light for Chinese green card seekers,' South China Morning Post, September 12, 2013.
- Interview, 'Assessing Asian HNW migration to the US,' Hubbis.com, June 2013. Click here to watch the Hubbis interview.
- Interview, 'The future of offshore financial centres,' Hubbis.com, June 2013. Click here to watch the Hubbis interview.
- Speaker, 'US Immigration Law Update,' Hong Kong, June 2013.
- Panelist, 'Wealth Planning Strategies: What You Need to Know,' Shanghai, May 2013.
- Panelist, 'Wealth Planning Strategies: What You Need to Know,' Beijing, May 2013.
- 'Secrets to Getting the Green Light for US Visa,' South China Morning Post, May 2013.
- Panelist, 'Not Your Average Employee: Hiring, Employing and Firing Domestic Workers,' Greenwich CT, May 2013.
- Quoted, 'Immigration Reform: Can Mark Zuckerberg and Friends Deliver,' The Christian Science Monitor, April 2013
- Quoted, 'Why Some Chinese Should Rethink Value of Green Card,' The Wall Street Journal, March 2013.
- 'Entrepreneurs and Immigration: New Prospects and Challenges in the Land of Opportunities,' Thomson Reuters News & Insight, December 2012.
- Presentation on 'Destination America: Navigating Opportunities,' for Mazars conference for high-net worth families and Russian-headquartered multinational companies, Moscow, Russia, April 2012.
- Panelist, ‘Global Citizens Need Global Solutions - US/UK Immigration, Real Estates and Tax Issues’, Withersworldwide, Singapore, January 2013.
- Panelist, ‘Global Citzen Need Global Solutions - US/UK Immigration, Real Estates and Tax Issues’, Withersworldwide, Hong Kong, January 2013.
- 'International Medical Graduates – From Training to Working,' Medical Society of the State of New York, News of New York, Vol. 67, No. 1, January 2011.
- 'Immigration Law’s Opportunities and Landmines,' Long Island Business News, January 2011.
- Presentation on 'International Medical Graduates: Immigration Options,' for American Psychiatrists Association, New York, NY, March 1999.
- Presentation on 'International Medical Graduates: Immigration Options,' for State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY, January 1999.
- Presentation on 'International Medical Graduates & Immigration Law,' Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, New York Chapter, New York Hospital, Queens, NY, September 1996.
- 'International Medical Graduates in U.S. Hospitals: A Guide for Program, Directors and Applicants,' in Foreign Medical Graduates & Immigration Law: A Primer for American College of Physicians, 1995.
- Presentation on 'Immigration Law & Foreign Medical Graduates,' for Nassau University Medical Center, Hempstead, NY, August 1994.
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Swiss American Lawyers Association of New York
- US District Court of New Jersey
- US District Court Eastern District of New York
- US District Court Southern District of New York
On a personal note
Reaz enjoys winter weekends in Vermont skiing with his sons and nephews, reading and writing poetry, long dinners and playing respectable rounds of stress-free golf. Reaz’s curiosity about the world is nurtured by travel, lively conversations about history, philosophy and mysticism.