- Education: University College London, B.A. • University of Pennsylvania, LL.M.
- Admitted: Washington DC, • England and Wales,
- Languages spoken: French
- Year joined: 2004
Richard advises on US and international tax and trust and estate planning, with clients based in Europe and the US. He specialises in US tax strategies for individuals, international trusts and closely held business structures. Richard devotes a significant part of his practice to cross-border philanthropy and pioneered the use of dual qualified charitable structures.
Richard was educated at University College London and qualified as a solicitor before moving to the US and attending the University of Pennsylvania Law School and has practiced in Washington DC and London. He is admitted as a solicitor in England, as a member of The District of Columbia and US Tax Court Bars.
Richard is recommended in the Citywealth Leading Lawyers List 2014.
'...a leader in the field of US tax advice.'
'...provides superb advice.'
Legal 500 2013 & 2014
Publications and speaking engagements
- Co-author of The Guide to US/UK Private Wealth Tax Planning (2nd edition), Bloomsbury, July 2016
- Co-author of Philanthropy – no good deed goes unpunished, Offshore Investment, July/August 2015
- Philanthropy Impact Magazine, 'Can governments make you more virtuous?' , Autumn 2013
- Navigating the Treacherous Tax North Atlantic Aspects of Anglo-American Estate Planning, Chapter 18, A Guide to International Estate Planning, ABA Publishing/Section of Real Property Probate and Trust Law, New Edition Published August 2013
- Co-author of U.S IRS unveils the FATCA registration portal - Bloomberg Law Tax Planning International European Tax Service and Bloomberg BNA International Tax Centre, August 2013
- Offshore Investment, 'Why Charities care about FATCA', Offshore Investment, August 2013
- U.S. FATCA Update: Final Regulations, Intergovernmental Agreements and Their Impact on the Fiduciary and Asset Management Industries, Richard Cassell and Kristin Konschnik, Published Bloomberg BNA, June 2013; Co-author Bloomberg BNA World Securities Law Report, June 2013;Co-author Bloomberg BNA Tax Planning International European Tax Service, May 2013
- The United States of America Chapter in the The Law and Practice of International Charitable Giving, Published by Oxford University Press, November 2012
- Offshore Red, United States and United Kingdom sign Bilateral Agreement to implement FATCA, September 2012
- Offshore Investment, Commentary Section, The Swings and Roundabouts of International Tax Policy, May 2012
- Private Client Business Magazine, In search of HIRE Ground, with Penelope Williams, Withers LLP, May 2011
- The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act of 2009, Richard Cassell, Jay Krause, Aaron Schumacher and Theodore Ahlgren, Tax Planning International Review, BNA International, Volume 36, Number 12- December 2009
- Proposed U.S Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act: Impact on Non-U.S. Financial Institutions, Intermediaries and Investment Vehicles, BNA International World Securities Law Report, December 2009
- Charitable Uses in the US, Richard Cassell and Khrista McCarden, Offshore Investment Journal, July/August 2007
- U.S. Estate Planning For Non-resident Aliens Who Own Partnership Interests by Richard A Cassell, Michael J A Karlin, Michael J.A.; Carlyn S. McCaffrey; and William P. Streng, This report was prepared for a meeting of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation's Committee on U.S. Activities of Foreigners and Tax Treaties, held on 9 May 2003. Release Date June 13, 2003, Cite: Tax Notes Int'l, Aug. 11, 2003, p. 563; 31 Tax Notes Int'l 563 (Aug. 11, 2003)
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- 26th Offshore Investment Symposium, co-speaking with Andrew Knight, M Partners S.a.r.l on 'Common Reporting Standards', Oxford, 7 September, 2016.
- 26th Offshore Investment Symposium, speaking on 'News from the USA relevant to Offshore', Oxford, 8 September, 2016.
- Philanthropy Impact, 'Tax Structuring Update', The Philanthropy Programme, London, 4 May 2016.
- IBC & Patrick Soares Present Offshore Taxation, Preparing for D-Day (Non-dom day 6/4/2017), 'News from the USA', London, 15 March 2016.
- American Bar Association Business Planning Group, 'What Every Domestic Estate Planning Attorney Should Know About International Estate Planning,' 21 October 2015.
- 25th Offshore Investment Oxford Symposium, 'Interaction with Charities' (with Clive Cutbill), Oxford, 9 September 2015.
- 25th Offshore Investment Oxford Symposium, 'Residents and Tax Issues relevant to the Offshore World', Oxford, 10 September 2015.
- Offshore Investment Planing for the Super Rich, 'Philanthropy', London, 8 July 2015.
- IBA Disclosure, Reporting & Compliance for Private Clients, 'Keeping Pace with International Obligations' Panel Discussion with Paul Millen, Deloitte AG and Darlene Hart, US Tax & Financial Services Sarl, Bloomsbury Hotel London, 19 March 2015.
- CASE 'Legal Issues in International Fundraising' (with, Michelle Chow, Withers LLP), New York, 17-18 January 2015.
- IBC's Effective Planning for US/UK Private Clients, 'Taxation of US Persons – What Makes an American?', Panel Discussion with David Treitel, American Tax Returns Ltd and Kehrela Hodkinson, Hodkinson Law Group, 4th November 2014.
- The 21st World Offshore Convention New York 2014, 'International Structures for Preserving Family Wealth' , 'FATCA and The Extraterritorial Application of US Legislation', ' The Uses of Foreign Trusts and Alternative Offshore Structures in Different Jurisdictions' Panel Discussion with Andrew De La Rosa, ICT Chambers, London and Cayman and Richard Hay, Stikeman Elliott, London, UK and 'The Future of the Private Client Practice' led By Warren Whitaker, Day Pitney LLP, New York with Joseph Field Withers, New York and Andrew De La Rosa, ICT Chambers, New York Athletic Club, USA, 15-15 October 2014.
- 24 Oxford Offshore Symposium: 'An overview and brief introduction. What vehicles drive forward international wealth planning?' Panel Discussion with Peter O'Dwyer of Hainault Capital and William Dalziel of London & Capital; 'Designing a cross-border investment structure to meet clients needs' with Clive Cutbill, 3 September 2014.
- CASE 'Legal Issues in International Fundraising' (with Mary Ellen Hutton, Withers LLP), San Francisco, 29 to 30 January 2014.
- International Tax Planning Association (ITPA)