- Education: Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, M.A. History • Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, M.Phil Medieval History • College of Law, York, PGDL/LPC
- Admitted: England and Wales, 2006
- Year joined: 2004
- Year became partner: 2014
Charlie focuses on UK and international tax and trust issues for both individuals and landed estates, as well as advising on wills and succession planning.
Charlie advises a number of family offices and international families as to their ongoing affairs and international trust structures, including private trust company structures.
He also works closely with a number of business families advising on existing structures set up for the management and governance of the family business, its interaction with family trusts and associated estate planning measures.
Charlie advises charities and private clients on tax issues in probate and trust disputes and assists with trust issues involved in international trust litigation.
Charlie is recommended by Legal 500 2014.
- Charlie was recently one of five nominees for the Tax and Trust Lawyer of the Year Award at the Spear’s Young Turk Awards 2014. He was also nominated for this award in 2012.
- Charlie received the Private Client Practitioner's 'Top 35 Under 35' award in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Charlie assisted Sir Gerry Robinson as the Wills Advisor on the 6-part BBC series, 'Can't take it with you', which ran from January to March 2011.
- Charlie was included in the Rising Stars section of the Spear's Top 25 Tax Lawyers Index 2014.
Publications and speaking engagements
Charlie has recently contributed to The Financial Times (Readers' Questions), Professional Adviser, Real Business, The Lawyer, Legal Week, Private Client Business, Spear's WMS and the Christie's Bulletin for Professional Advisers.
He is the co-author of the chapter on Governance and Management in Business Families and Family Businesses: The STEP Handbook for Advisers and also co-authored a chapter on Setting Aside Trusts in International Trust Disputes.
Charlie has also spoken at a number of conferences about various aspects of estate planning.
Charlie is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
On a personal note
Charlie is a keen sportsman and plays a range of sports including cricket and hockey.