Registered Foreign Lawyer
- Education: University of Michigan, Ross School of Business, B.B.A. • Boston College Law School, J.D. • New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- Admitted: State of Massachusetts, 2008 • State of New York, 2009
- Languages spoken: Cantonese • Mandarin
- Year joined: 2008
- Year became partner: 2016
Laurence is a partner in the US Wealth Planning department and focuses on international tax, trust and estate planning for families with US connections or investing into the United States. More specifically, Laurence advises individuals on international estate and probate planning, foreign trust and holding company structures, and tax planning related to expatriation from and immigration to the United States.
Further, Laurence also counsels individuals in connection with their IRS tax audits/examinations, voluntary disclosures and foreign bank account reporting issues.
Publications and speaking engagements
Laurence has presented at various wealth planning events and training seminars in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan.
- Author, US Tax Planning for Non-US Persons, Hong Kong Economic Journal, 25 May 2016.
- Co-presenter, Withers In-House Rolling Program: Trends and Pitfalls in the Age of Tax Transparency, 24 May 2016.
- Presenter, The Avenue, Jones Lang LaSalle, 17 April 2016.
- Presenter, One Manhattan Square, Jones Lang LaSalle, Hong Kong, 15 November 2015.
- Presenter, Four Seasons Residences, Jones Lang LaSalle, Hong Kong, 13 October 2015.
- Presenter, USA Property Market Outlook – Planning for US Real Estate, Jones Lang LaSalle, Hong Kong, 29 June 2015.
- Co-presenter, Rothschild Dialogues – US Planning for Asian Families, Rothschild Trust, Hong Kong, 24 April 2015.
- Co-author, US Immigration: The Importance of Pre-Immigration Planning, CTaxNews, China Civil Entrepreneur, 10 December 2014 and 25 December 2014.
- Co-presenter, Expatriation and Voluntary Disclosures, Citi Private Bank, Hong Kong, 22 September 2014.
- Presenter, Investing in US Real Estate, CORE NYC, Hong Kong, 16 September 2014.
- Co-presenter, Planning for US Federal Estate Tax, ABN Amro, Hong Kong, 19 November 2013.
- Co-presenter, Withers In-House Rolling Program: Tax Implications of US Expatriation: Fact & Fiction, Hong Kong, 24 September 2013.
- Co-presenter, Post Grantor Trust Issues, Deutsche Bank, Hong Kong, 2 August 2010.
- Co-presenter, Post Grantor Trust Issues, BNP, Hong Kong, 20 July 2010.
- Co-presenter, Storm Warning from Washington: HIRE, FBAR, and the SEC, Taipei, Singapore, and Hong Kong, 26-30 April 2010.
On a personal note
Laurence enjoys playing tennis and golf, and is an avid Michigan Wolverines fan.