Head of UK Tax Investigations
- Education: University College London, LL.B. (Hons)
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1973
- Languages spoken: French
- Year joined: 2011
- Year became partner: 2011
Maurice is Head of Tax Investigations. His work focuses on business and personal tax investigations on behalf of high profile individuals as well as corporations. He often works in conjunction with leading accountancy firms to minimise the client's risk of prosecution and the amount of tax properly payable.
Known for his contacts and experience, he has been involved in many of the major cases of the past 30 years. These began with the famous nationwide Richmond Rendezvous group of Chinese restaurants in 1981, at the time the largest tax prosecution ever and the first combined operation by HM Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise (before they merged in 2005).
'Maurice Martin is a vastly experienced tax litigator, with a demonstrable track record in tax prosecutions and regulatory investigations.' - Chambers and Partners 2016
Maurice's 'experience and strategic thinking is invaluable' and he is 'able to quickly gain a client's complete trust' - Chambers 2014
He 'has a great reputation in the marketplace and has a sensible, tactical head on his shoulders' - Chambers 2014
'He has spent his whole career specialising in this area'. 'Extremely adept at managing the whole process and the particular client's concerns.' - Chambers and Partners 2010
'A great listener... a very astute expert wth the best bedside manner we've ever seen in a difficult and complex field'. 'His expertise particularly lies in HMRC tax investigations and he has been involved in numerous leading cases in the area - Chambers and Partners 2010
- Richmond Rendevous group of Chinese restaurants.
- Scores of other high profile business and professional individuals and companies whose confidential cases did not reach court (and which therefore cannot be mentioned).
- More recently he has played a significant role in two separate tax investigations involving premiership football clubs and other HMRC investigations for high profile individuals with international elements.
Publications and speaking engagements
- Regular speaker on tax investigations at the International Bar Association
- Author of the original chapter on Tax Investigations - Tolley's Directors' Handbook
- International Bar Association
- London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association
- Financial Investigations Bureau
- Tax Investigation Practitioners Group
On a personal note
Maurice's interests include impressionist art, classical music, travel, outdoor swimming, walking, reading and supporting Watford football club.