- Education: Edinburgh University, M.A. (Hons)
- Admitted: England and Wales, 1995
- Year joined: 1993
- Year became partner: 2002
Michael advises on all aspects of family law (including pre-nuptial agreements) with particular emphasis on the resolution of financial issues for wealthy individuals, whether married or unmarried and often with international interests. He liaises closely with Withers' private client UK/US tax and trust teams. Clients include sports stars, city professionals, owners of landed estates, politicians, entrepreneurs and business people, and their spouses/partners.
Michael has been selected as one of Spears Wealth Management’s ‘Top Recommended’ lawyers in its Family Law Index 2013. The report says that ‘Gouriet is known as a ‘calm international finance expert’ and ‘Withers’ unsung hero’’. Michael is also recommended as a leading family lawyer in Chambers & Partners, in which he has variously been described in recent years as 'a real class act'; 'said by peers to be the best of the new generation'; 'measured, sensible and knows his law'; and 'is just excellent and often sought after by high net worth individuals'. In 2014, he was described by Chambers as receiving 'widespread praise for his family practice.' Michael is described in the Legal 500, 2013 as 'quietly brilliant' and in 2014 as a 'first-class lawyer'.
Michael is also listed in the Citywealth Leading Lawyers List as a prominent figure within Family and Matrimonial.
Michael is a trained collaborative lawyer.
Michael has recently qualified as a family law arbitrator.
- Michael acted in the case of OS v DS  which created a new precedent in asset tracing cases and, also in the Court of Appeal case of Tchenguiz-Imerman v Imerman , which changed the law on disclosure and confidentiality of documents in financial proceedings on divorce.
- Michael acted for the father in the ground-breaking 'leave to remove' case of C v C (International Relocation Shared Care Arrangement) 2011, successfully opposing the mother's application to move with the children to live abroad.
- Michael acted in the reported decisions in Tchenguiz-Imerman v Imerman (2013) relating to the joinder of trust beneficiaries to financial proceedings on divorce and consequential disclosure.
Publications and speaking engagements
Michael has for several years been a contributor to the legal and national press on family law issues in addition to appearing as an expert commentator on television and radio. By way of example, Michael participated in a feature piece on family law in FT Weekend Magazine in November 2010, has been quoted in The Financial Times & The Times, and has given commentary live on Bloomberg TV, Sky News and BBC News.
In addition Michael has chaired and lectured at various family law conferences including Butterworths, Lexis Nexis (April 2010 and May 2011) and IBC (November 2010). He is the author of the divorce chapter in LexisNexis Tax Planning for Farm and Land Diversification and a contributor to the Resolution book on cohabitation law.
- Resolution (First for Family Law)
- Cohabitation Committee of Resolution (First for Family Law)
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Central London Collaborative Forum
- Chartered Institute of Arbitration
On a personal note
Michael's interests include all sports (including running own cricket team) and art.
Recent accolades and awards