02 December 2021 - Article
Life sciences and healthcare
Our experienced team of life sciences lawyers spanning the UK, Europe, US and Asia, advise a variety of clients, from leading academic institutions, established pharmaceutical and medical device companies, start-ups and tech accelerators to renowned charities. We’ve helped companies, specifically at inception or the early stages, bring innovative drugs, therapies and devices to market. Our team includes lawyers with scientific backgrounds, regulatory and diverse industry experience, which gives us a unique perspective of the opportunities and issues faced by our clients in the life sciences sector. As trusted advisors to our clients, we often work as general counsel thereby extending the capabilities of their teams, as well as providing intellectual property and regulatory strategy and other legal services, including effective business structuring and capital raising advice, managing intellectual property and commercial arrangements, employment and tax.
Our dedicated life sciences team has extensive experience advising entrepreneurs, investors, and technology companies, operating in a range of sectors, including biotech, med-tech, food tech and health-tech (including digital health).
From inception to exit, we are familiar with the life cycle of life sciences companies and the demands on scaling your business. From structuring and fundraising for early stage companies to M&A and IPO for later stage companies.
For further help or informationGet in touch
Where we shine
Technology transfers & spin-outs
Licensing, R&D & commercial transactions
• put in place valuable R&D, option and pipeline agreements to develop IP
• negotiate in-licensing and out-licensing agreements for early or late-stage products
• effectively bring your products to market through various outsourcing agreements for product manufacture, supply and distribution
• IP strategy
• protecting IP developed by your employees, consultants and other third party service providers
• IP portfolio management and brand strategies to maximise the value of your IP across jurisdictions
• dispute resolution of IP infringement
• practitioners with advanced degrees in molecular biology and medicinal chemistry
• execution in IP prosecution in worldwide portfolios
• protection of bio-tech pharmaceutical and medical device technologies
• preclinical, clinical trials and post approval pharmacovigilance across multiple jurisdictions
• Interaction with regulatory authorities in the US and Europe
• advertising and promotional activities
• product recall and liability
• industry codes of conduct and compliance
• Regulatory compliance regarding advertising and promotional activities
• petitions regarding matters before regulatory authorities
Our Cambridge, UK office is a key location for our work with the life sciences ecosystem in the area and throughout the UK, with several of our life sciences professionals based in or working in the city.
Our Boston team focuses on life sciences work, including regulatory and intellectual property issues. The team also represents clients investing in the life sciences industry, as well as clients commercializing life sciences and pharmaceutical innovations.
InsightView all Firm insight
21 April 2021 - Article
Withersworldwide's new Boston IP team featured in The American Lawyer's recent article 'Global Firm Enters Beantown, Grabbing Life Sciences Team'
19 April 2021 - Article
Withers expands international venture capital and life sciences team with launch in Boston
16 July 2020 - Podcast
W talks: tech | Ep 3 - Why is there a gap in CPD for professionals in the venture capital industry?
19 June 2020 - Firm News
Withers tech advises Astanor Ventures on funding of biotech and diagnostics firm Hyris
Meet the team
Would you like to hear more from us?
Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.