Leading law firm for 13 areas in Singapore, Japan and Indonesia in Chambers Asia Pacific 2023
16 December 2022 | Applicable law: Indonesia, Japan, Singapore
As individuals, families and businesses across Asia face up to a time of unprecedented change and explore crucial opportunities for growth, we remain steadfast in providing instrumental support for our clients that they have come to rely on both personally and professionally.
In doing so, we have been recognised as a leading firm by Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific legal directory guides in 13 practice areas across the Asia-Pacific (ex-China) region. Along with this prestigious accolade, 14 of our lawyers have likewise been recognised for their excellence in their respective market-leading practices.
We are honoured to receive this accolade, which builds upon our rankings last year. This is only possible through the thoughtful feedback provided by our clients and business partners.
We are thankful to everyone who has supported us, and we look forward to remaining as your trusted legal partner in the years to come.
- 'Paul Jebely is an extremely knowledgeable expert who thoroughly understands our requirements, develops a solid strategy, has the art of negotiation, and explains the legal requirements and implications at a level that the client can understand.'
Banking and finance
- 'Chen Guan Feng shows good commercial acumen and is adept at helping lenders understand implications and how best to protect their rights and interests.'
- 'The law firm is adept at handling financing with large corporate structures spanning multiple jurisdictions. The team is commercially savvy and has good appreciation of business and operational requirements.'
Corporate and finance
- 'The team at Withers KhattarWong has provided clear and succinct advice.'
- 'Withers' strength is that their experience is broad so they have generalists that can give advice on a broad spectrum of the law in the context of investigations.'
Corporate / M&A
- 'Daniel Yong is a steady pair of hands when it comes to M&A.'
- 'Daniel Yong has done great work for me over the years.'
- 'Withers has a large and committed team of experts at various levels who consistently challenge opinions and are laser-focused on facts and potential outcomes.'
- 'The partners at Withers did a great job in coordinating across geographies and their respective legal frameworks.'
- 'Amarjit Kaur is an excellent lawyer with a keen focus on balancing the various dynamics of a dispute such as commercial realities, human emotions and legal principles. She is very hard-working, empathetic and creative in approaching disputes involving employment. She has a fantastic ability to link commercial realities, human emotions and the law around employment.'
- 'Amarjit Kaur a remarkable individual and I feel fortunate to have worked with her. Amarjit is strategic, smart, a listener and truly cares about justice and a fair outcome.'
- 'Deborah Barker SC is quite simply superior in every aspect. Her experience enables clarity, which leads to easy decision-making'
- 'Deborah Barker SC is knowledgeable, understanding and helpful.'
- 'The team is able to understand complex issues and solve them in a systematic manner.'
- 'Withers has a strong knowledge of intellectual property rights in the region.'
- 'Their particular strength is to provide practical solutions to problems and consider the commercial implications when giving advice.'
- 'Even in difficult cases, they sincerely discuss with clients and give accurate conclusions and advice. They have a good business sense while clearly understanding the clients' position.'
- 'We are confident that no matter how complex or unique our question is, Yoshiyuki Omori is able to provide an answer for us.'
- 'Yoshiyuki Omori is always quick to respond and good at understating the issues and then providing solutions from regulatory perspective.'
- 'Koji Yamamoto has the experience and contacts to provide a high level of service to his clients.'
Startups & Emerging Companies
- 'Joel Shen is a well-regarded individual in the Indonesian space.'
- 'Joel Shen always knows his material intimately well.'
- 'Withers has a good team comprising of members with different experience levels and skillsets who provide sound and practical advice.'
- 'They are familiar with current market norms in the real estate market.'
- 'They are reliable and thorough and have good business sense.'
- 'They have international lawyers with broad knowledge and local lawyers with a strong understanding of regulations.'
- 'Toshihiko Tsuchiya has extensive experience, especially in this area and can manage extremely complex sophisticated matters.'
- 'Toshihiko Tsuchiya's advice is very commercial and realistic.'
- 'Gerald Fuiji is a very experienced and solid lawyer.'
- 'We have an excellent impression of Steven Wheeler. He is very responsive, very experienced and trustworthy on his billings.'
- 'Steven Wheeler provides us with great support on cross-border matters.'
Restructuring & Insolvency
- 'Withers KhattarWong does not shy away from difficult issues. They are very good counsel, and are responsive and commercial.'
- 'They always take the initiative and are proactive in looking out for issues that may rise during a restructuring.'
- 'Justin Yip maps out clearly the situation, roadmap ahead and potential pitfalls.'
- 'Justin Yip is technically sound in insolvency and restructuring matters. He approaches a challenge and offers a pragmatic solution.'
- 'Withers has a very strong international tax network and is able to assist us with complex cross-border matters.'
- 'The team is commercially savvy and pragmatic.'
- 'Eric Roose is the smartest tax lawyer in the entire Asia-Pacific region. Eric is the go-to lawyer on high-value projects that need to be closed within a tight deadline and when challenging issues require the greatest level of expertise from a tax standpoint.'
- 'Eric Roose is very experienced in the field. He is our go-to tax adviser in cross-border transactions that involve multiple jurisdictions.'