Myth two: Cohabitation rights - If we have children, I'll be entitled to my share of the house and to child maintenance

28 November 2017

Follow our cohabitation campaign on social media using the following hashtags: #ABetterWay #ModernFamilies

We have children together, surely that makes a difference to my claims against the house and for maintenance?

Yes, becoming parents together is a huge change. The relationship with your partner is never the same after the birth of a child. Initially incredible joy and then the seismic shift in lifestyle as a couple is forced to accommodate the needs of a much loved baby. Sleep deprivation, potty training, learning to ride a bike, tears after bickering in the playground, nativity plays and supporting parents association (whilst trying to avoid being chair), and then GSCE choices and career options. Being a parent makes a difference to every aspect of life… that is, apart from your legal rights if you and your partner separate.

If you and you are partner are not married, if your relationship falters in the early stages of sleep deprivation or just before your children head off to university, your own legal rights will be the same.

Cohabitees and child maintenance

Whilst you will be able to claim child maintenance and, in some cases capital for the children (through a mixture of applications to the Child Maintenance Service and potentially through court), the law does not impose any financial responsibilities on cohabitees in respect of each other that are not related to the needs of a child. If you do not legally own a property (or can prove that you have an interest in it) as a cohabitee you will have no entitlement to a share. Likewise there is no entitlement to any sort of ongoing financial support by way of income from your partner, other than support related to a child. And once the children are grown up, that support ends.

Raising awareness about cohabitation rights

All this week, we are supporting the Resolution campaign to raise awareness about the lack of rights for cohabitants in the UK. There are things that you can do to protect your position, and it would be a good idea to consider your options, including putting in place a cohabitation agreement.

Having said this, you may find some comfort in the fact that the law in relation to children, child maintenance and domestic violence is the same whether you are married or unmarried.

Read tomorrow's blog to find out about child maintenance (support) and other financial claims that can be made for children when cohabiting couples separate.

Cohabitation agreements

For more information about cohabitation agreements, please see our article posted yesterday: "Cohabitation agreements (living together agreements) - 10 things you need to know and how to get started":/cohabitation-agreements-living-together-agreements-10-things-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-get-started.

Get in touch

If you would like to speak to us about cohabitation agreements or any other matter, please get in touch on the number below:

t: +44 20 7597 6000

This document (and any information accessed through links in this document) is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Professional legal advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this document.


Related experience

As a full-service law firm, we are able to provide advice and information about a wide range of other issues. Here are some related areas.

Join the club

We have lots more news and information that you'll find informative and useful. Let us know what you're interested in and we'll keep you up to date on the issues that matter to you.