Trademarks are important not just to businesses, which need to protect their brands, but to consumers, who need to understand the origin of the goods and services they buy.
Our global trademarks team, with lawyers in the US, Europe, and Asia, have assisted in the registration of many thousands of trademarks that help to avoid any confusion or brand infringement. We work on behalf of a wide range of organizations, from commercial brands to public institutions. Withers’ global reach enables us to help wherever you are – or would like to be.
We provide a full service from trademark creation through to portfolio renewal. Our experience enables us to advise not just on the process and options such as trademarks, service marks and registered trademarks, but on strengthening the brand itself. We will keep you updated at every stage, from conducting clearance searches to prosecuting your application, liaising with trademark agencies on your behalf until the application is approved.
We regularly assist clients with:
• Strategic advice regarding name selection, clearance and registrability in both domestic and international markets
• Prioritizing registration strategies and budgeting for trademark portfolio development and growth
• Filing trademark applications and managing registration renewals
• Managing contested proceedings before trademark offices, such as office actions, trademark oppositions, and invalidation proceedings
• Representing clients in trademark infringement litigation matters
• Structuring and negotiating commercial agreements involving trademarks, such as license agreements, distribution agreements and collaboration agreements
• Developing and delivering training programs for clients’ employees regarding trademarks and other intellectual property matters
• Assisting client’s in brand enforcement efforts, such as creating programs to address issues with counterfeit goods and rogue websites
It’s also wise to think globally – conducting searches in different markets before applying for your first trademark. If you wish to file applications in several countries simultaneously, your Withers lawyer will create and lead an international team of attorneys who know how things work on the ground. This made for a smooth process for a client that recently applied for trademarks in seven countries.
Trademark infringements are a big concern, and we have acted many times to enforce a client’s rights – for example stopping an unlicensed business selling hats bearing the name of a major New York museum. If necessary we will obtain injunctions and/or bring litigation to protect your brand.
Finally, dates are important in trademark protection. You can rely on our team to stay on top of your portfolio, renewing and expanding your protections whenever required.
For further help or informationGet in touch
07 January 2021 - Article
The US Trademark Modernization Act becomes law
Meet the team
How we can help
We can also help with
InsightView all Firm insight
13 April 2021 - Article
Deborah Greaves is featured regarding trademark issues in Nike and Lil Nas X’s ‘Satan Shoes’ dispute
02 April 2021 - Article
Withers' Deborah Greaves, Michael Rueda and Paolo Macchi article featured in Sports Litigation Alert
02 September 2019 - Article
Not even an energy drink could fuel up certain trademarks – the recent invalidity of the Red Bull two-colour logo
12 October 2018 - Blog
Kansas City Royals sue National Women's Soccer League over Utah Royals FC trademark
27 March 2018 - Blog
Aaron Judge, MLBPA contesting trademark applications of unassociated individual
Would you like to hear more from us?
Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.