Navigating complex US immigration laws: US visas and taxation

3 January 2018 | Applicable law: US

Over the past number of years, wealthy non-US individuals (also known as non-resident aliens or “NRAs”) have established more presence in the United States, generally through direct investment in US assets, educating their children in the United States and ultimately moving to the United States. Often times, the knee-jerk reaction is to obtain a green card which, while allowing an NRA to stay in the United States permanently, also subjects him or her to worldwide taxation on his or her income. Fortunately, there are many other options available, short of obtaining a green card, which may allow an NRA to enter and remain in the United States either indefinitely or for a certain period of time without subjecting his or her worldwide income to taxation.

Click here to read more.

This document (and any information accessed through links in this document) is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Professional legal advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this document.


Related experience

As a full-service law firm, we are able to provide advice and information about a wide range of other issues. Here are some related areas.

Join the club

We have lots more news and information that you'll find informative and useful. Let us know what you're interested in and we'll keep you up to date on the issues that matter to you.