There are many reasons why you may wish to renounce your residence or citizenship of a country.

You may not feel any connection to the country (an example would be an ‘accidental American’ who is a national of another country and only becomes aware of their US status in adulthood). You may feel obliged to do so for tax reporting, legal or political reasons. You may simply have moved on.

Our strong reputation for representing private clients has led to us being asked to act in many cases of this kind. Indeed, Reaz Jafri and Theda Fisher, two lawyers from our New York office, recently lobbied the US government to change its policy on the matter. ‘The rule always was that when a person renounced his or her US citizenship the State Department would take your passport and hold it until a decision was made. So if you were living abroad you couldn’t travel to the US because by law you have to travel here on your US passport. No one ever questioned it, until we raised the issue with the State Department, which ended up changing the law,’ says Reaz Jafri.

For further help or information

Get in touch

06 March 2017 - Article

Travel Ban 2.0 Goes into Effect March 16, 2017

Read More


Leading individual for immigration

Meet the team

How the team can help

Track record

The US-born son of a UK businessman

When he became engaged to a Swiss citizen, the son of a high-profile UK businessman asked us to help him obtain a British Passport and expatriate from the US. We were also asked to draft a prenuptial agreement. Timing was of the essence but as a global, full-service firm we created a team of immigration, family and private client lawyers to meet tight deadlines.

We can also help with

Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.